Holiday Baking: Michelle Spell Of Ava’s Cupcakes Shares Her Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe
Ava's Signature Red Velvet. (Courtesy Photo)
Boost the festive flair at any holiday gathering by adding a pop of seasonal coloring with a classic red velvet cake or cupcake. And, if you really want to go all out, green is the obvious frosting color of choice.
"The red velvet is a classic holiday cupcake and a surefire crowd-pleaser but the greatest reason to love a good red velvet is its versatility," noted award-winning pastry chef Michelle Spell
from Ava's Cupcakes
. "Red velvet cake works well with so many different fillings and toppings, it's endless!" So don't be afraid to get creative with you combinations.
Ava's Signature Red Velvet:
• 2 3/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
• 1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
• 1/4 Cup Best Quality Cocoa Powder
• 1 tsp Baking Soda
• 1 tsp Salt
• 2 Eggs
• 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
• 1 Cup Buttermilk
• 1 Tsp Vanilla
• 1 Tsp White Vinegar
• 1/2 Cup Red Food Color
1. Blend your dry ingredients in your mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the first 5 wet ingredients together, add to your dry mix.
3. Once fully incorporated, slowly adding food color and vinegar and mix well!
4. Scoop and fill your cupcake pans 2/3 of the way.
5. Bake at 350 for 19 minutes.
Tip: Recipe stays for 5 days in an airtight container, 3 months in a freezer.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com
Added: December 5, 2016, 12:30 pm
Appeared In: food and wine >> recipes