What To Slather On Your BBQ Fare This Memorial Day Weekend: SIMI Barbecue Sauce
The sauce easily enhances the flavor of pulled pork, ribs, hamburgers, and hotdogs. (Courtesy Photo)
It's simply not a proper Memorial Day weekend without eating something that was cooked on a grill. If you're the one hosting the holiday weekend BBQ, enhance the flavor of pulled pork, ribs, hamburgers, and hotdogs with this easy to make sauce that has the perfect spicy and sweet mix.
SIMI Barbecue Sauce:
(Note: Yields 4 cups with a bottle of SIMI Pinot Noir)
• 1 medium red onion, chopped
• 2 whole, peeled garlic cloves
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
• 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
• 2 cups SIMI Sonoma County Pinot Noir
• 1/4 cup canned chipotle chilies, pureed with their liquids (or more to taste)
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons molasses
• 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or sherry vinegar
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon paprika
• 2 tablespoons kosher salt (or a generous 1 tablespoon granulated salt)
1. Using a deep pot large enough to hold all the ingredients, saute the onion and garlic gloves in the butter and oil over low heat until partially caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes and their juice, the wine, and the remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil, and then lower the heat. Simmer for 30 minutes, partially covered. Stir occasionally.
3. Carefully puree the hot mixture with an immersion blender until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Simmer 30 minutes longer, or until thickened to your liking. Bottle the sauce or ladle into airtight containers. It will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com
Added: May 23, 2016, 1:25 pm
Appeared In: food and wine >> recipes