So beach season is here and maybe you haven't been hitting the gym like you swore you would this winter. No need to freak out as Connor Miller, an instructor at Barry's Bootcamp
- which has locations in Wainscott, Amagansett and Southampton - is sharing his top four tips to get in shape.
Connor Miller. (Courtesy Photo)
1. Start lifting heavier weights than your hand bag. Weight training will help you burn more fat at rest, and will give you the hard body you are looking for. Don't be afraid of heavy weights, even as a women. The idea that you will bulk up from lifting heavy dumbbells is a myth. In fact, lifting heavy weights, versus always lifting light dumbbells (light means under 10 lbs.), will create more lean muscle and burn more calories, helping you achieve lean and sculpted, yet slim, muscles.
2. Hydrate properly with 8 glasses of water, or more, each day. Drinking water will suppress appetite and will increase the body's ability to metabolize stored fat, helping you flush out toxins and avoid bloat the days before you're beach-bound.
3. Take your high-intensity interval training, or "HIIT," to a new level by challenging yourself in one small way with each workout. The body needs increased intensity to achieve results and avoid plateau. Keep the changes small at first, to make it seem less overwhelming. Add a bit of speed to your treadmill run, or add an incline, increase your dumbbell weight by just 2 lbs., test yourself to squeeze in 3 more push-ups in a specific time frame.
4. Protein is key to helping recovery and will keep you feeling more satisfied as you decrease calorie intake. Don't skimp on protein, even if you're trying to cut calories a bit - protein will repair muscles and help with satiety so you're more likely to make better eating decisions all day long.
For more information about Barry's Bootcamp, visit www.barrysbootcamp.com.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com
East End Tick Control
The East End's only New York State licensed dedicated tick and mosquito control specialists!
Southampton Masonry-Visiting the Southampton or the Wainscott locations is an exciting experience.
Southampton Masonry has been serving Long Island's masonry and tile needs since 1975. Delivering quality products from Manhattan to Montauk for over three decades. The company's continued success is due primarily to their number one priority: customer satisfaction, with a promise of prompt and courteous service from the professional, knowledgeable staff.
Southampton Masonry has the largest inventory on the east end. As direct importers they can offer a large variety of the finest quality products at the most competitive pricing for both your interior and exterior projects.
Southrifty Drug 54 Jagger Lane, Southampton Village
Southrifty Drug is a small, neighborhood pharmacy with limited shelf space, and we have to be very selective about which over-the-counter items we carry. As a result you'll find a no nonsense concentration of very effective, high quality and useful products on our shelves. In this new section, we feature a number of these products that we feel are especially worthy of your consideration.
As the owner’s representative our practice encompasses all aspects of a project from pre-purchase property due diligence, program development iterations, advisement on systems, analyze contracts/vendors, critical path analysis, feasibility and schedule. The strength of our approach is in facilitating organized communication. We strongly analyze all representations and warranties for the protection and benefit of our client.
The Citarella Standard. We’re passionate about sourcing and selling the world’s best seafood. When you order our fresh seafood online, what you receive always reflects the unrivaled standard of our markets. It’s hand-prepared, never frozen, and shipped overnight. 631-283-6600.