So beach season is here and maybe you haven't been hitting the gym like you swore you would this winter. No need to freak out as Connor Miller, an instructor at Barry's Bootcamp
- which has locations in Wainscott, Amagansett and Southampton - is sharing his top four tips to get in shape.
Connor Miller. (Courtesy Photo)
1. Start lifting heavier weights than your hand bag. Weight training will help you burn more fat at rest, and will give you the hard body you are looking for. Don't be afraid of heavy weights, even as a women. The idea that you will bulk up from lifting heavy dumbbells is a myth. In fact, lifting heavy weights, versus always lifting light dumbbells (light means under 10 lbs.), will create more lean muscle and burn more calories, helping you achieve lean and sculpted, yet slim, muscles.
2. Hydrate properly with 8 glasses of water, or more, each day. Drinking water will suppress appetite and will increase the body's ability to metabolize stored fat, helping you flush out toxins and avoid bloat the days before you're beach-bound.
3. Take your high-intensity interval training, or "HIIT," to a new level by challenging yourself in one small way with each workout. The body needs increased intensity to achieve results and avoid plateau. Keep the changes small at first, to make it seem less overwhelming. Add a bit of speed to your treadmill run, or add an incline, increase your dumbbell weight by just 2 lbs., test yourself to squeeze in 3 more push-ups in a specific time frame.
4. Protein is key to helping recovery and will keep you feeling more satisfied as you decrease calorie intake. Don't skimp on protein, even if you're trying to cut calories a bit - protein will repair muscles and help with satiety so you're more likely to make better eating decisions all day long.
For more information about Barry's Bootcamp, visit www.barrysbootcamp.com.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com
East End Tick Control
The East End's only New York State licensed dedicated tick and mosquito control specialists!
Hamptons Carpet One Floor & Home
We pay less,and so do you.With over 1,000 stores in our buying group, we can get the lowest prices
from the best flooring manufacturers — and pass the savings on to you.Visit our other locations: Hamptons Carpet One Floor & Home, 675 North Sea Road,Southampton, NY 11968
Southampton Masonry-Visiting the Southampton or the Wainscott locations is an exciting experience.
Southampton Masonry has been serving Long Island's masonry and tile needs since 1975. Delivering quality products from Manhattan to Montauk for over three decades. The company's continued success is due primarily to their number one priority: customer satisfaction, with a promise of prompt and courteous service from the professional, knowledgeable staff.
Southampton Masonry has the largest inventory on the east end. As direct importers they can offer a large variety of the finest quality products at the most competitive pricing for both your interior and exterior projects.
CP Complete- Landscape Design & Construction
Paul Guillo And Chris Hall
Two Of The Most Respected Names In The Community
Together, they are partners in CP Complete. They bring their years of experience
and integrity to creating and renovating luxury backyards.
Hamptons luxury real estate specialist for 33 years, Andrea Ackerman offers outstanding expertise in the field.
Hamptons luxury real estate specialist for 34 years, Andrea Ackerman offers outstanding expertise in the field. Trusted, experienced and successful, Andrea has solidified herself as the go-to broker of the Hamptons and a wholehearted advocate for her clients. A pioneer in the real estate industry on the East End of Long Island, she is driven by her passion for the business. Andrea is based in the Bridgehampton office of Brown Harris Stevens as a licensed real estate associate broker and consultant.
Formerly, a principal partner and Senior Director at Brown Harris Stevens, Andrea now assists in developing their corporate strategy for the Hamptons region, advising other brokers and sales associates, as well as being one of the top producers and listors.
Southrifty Drug 54 Jagger Lane, Southampton Village
Southrifty Drug is a small, neighborhood pharmacy with limited shelf space, and we have to be very selective about which over-the-counter items we carry. As a result you'll find a no nonsense concentration of very effective, high quality and useful products on our shelves. In this new section, we feature a number of these products that we feel are especially worthy of your consideration.
WordHampton Public Relations
We build client revenues and reputations.
Our reputation is built on delivering a strong media presence and, as a result, demand for our clients' offerings, resulting in a positive impact on sales. Successful campaigns start with understanding the goals of our clients and developing a customized strategy that will achieve those objectives.
Big Brunch Box-delivered in The Hamptons
BIG BRUNCH BOX. Your favorite gourmet brunch foods for weekend eating with friends and family, ordered with ease and conveniently dropped at your doorstep in The Hamptons every Friday with fanatical attention to quality.
Long Island Cares, Inc.
While distributing nutritious food to our Nassau and Suffolk County neighbors is the heart of Long Island Cares, we’re more than just a food bank. We’re one of the region’s most comprehensive hunger assistance organizations, and there are many other ways we can help you and your loved ones.