- Frizzy hair frustration seems to peak during the winter months. Elizabeth Cunnane Phillips
, a trichologist and hair expert at the Philip Kingsley Hair
knows the root of this problem like the back of her hand. Follow her lead to prevent frizz all winter long.
Why The Frizz?
• Hair expands, stretches and changes its protein bonds when wet or damp and when exposed to changes.
The following exposes our hair to varying levels of humidity and static charge, causing it to frizz.
• Central heating.
• A cold and damp outdoor climate.
• Wind, drizzle and snow.
Frizzy Hair Protection
• The best way to avoid frizzy hair is to dry and style hair with products that discourage moisture absorption into the hair shaft.
Look for the following ingredients in styling products to combat frizz:
>li> Glycerin: Helps retains moisture
• Benzalkonium Chloride: Anti static agent
• Silicone: Reduces static and frizz
• Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol: Softens and smoothes the hair
• Use a setting product to prevent frizz and protect your hairstyle, such as the Philip Kingsley Waterproof Hairspray ($35). Provides lasting hold, shine and weather protection while extending the life of color treated hair
• Do not use too much of any product containing silicone in your quest to battle frizz as over applying product to the hair when wet and then styling it with a blow dryer can cause "silicone burn" - an unpleasant brittleness and dullness of hair. Instead, enlist a frizz fighting product and apply a normal amount such as Philip Kingsley Smooth Cream ($35), and Philip Kingsley Minimizer ($35).
• Tames frizz, calms and defines waves to leave hair shiny and under control.
• Eliminates frizz provides definition and shine, transforming parched hair.
For more information, click here.