Although it's sad to say, the chance for a summer BBQ is nearly over. If you're still finalizing your Labor Day
weekend menu, add a seafood option with Dave Matthews' Band Head Chef Fiona Bohane's Seafood Stew with Fennel and Sun-dried Tomatoes, which pairs well with The Dreaming Tree's Crush.
Seafood Stew with Fennel and Sun-dried Tomatoes:
Serves 6 to 8 people
• 20 ea. Little neck or cherrystone clams, soaked in cool water and scrubbed
• 2 pounds mussels, soaked in cool water and debearded
• 1 pound shrimp, wild American preferred, 16/20's, peeled and deveined
• 1 pound scallops, bay or sea
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 small yellow or white onion
• 6 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 head fennel, thinly sliced
• Large pinch of crushed red pepper, (more if you like spice)
• 1 bay leaf
• 4 sprigs thyme
• 2 large tomatoes, rough chopped
• 1 cup white wine
• 1 cup clam juice/seafood stock
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoons pepper
• 1 bunch basil, leaves chopped
• 1 bunch parsley, leaves chopped
• 1/2 cup sun-dried tomato puree
1. In a large pot (with a tightly fitted lid) over medium heat sauté onions, garlic and a large pinch of salt in olive oil, about 3 minutes, until softened and fragrant.
2. Add fennel and crushed red pepper, sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add bay leaf, thyme, tomatoes, white wine, clam juice and salt and pepper. 4. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Reduce by 1/3.
4. Add clams, stir and cover for 1 minute (longer for larger clams).
5. Add mussels, stir, cover and cook for 1 minute.
6. Add shrimp, stir, cover and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Add scallops, stir, cover and cook for about 2 minutes, (maybe longer) until shrimp and scallops are opaque and most of the mussels and clams are opened (discard those that do not open). Turn off heat.
8. Add basil and parsley. Stir the sun-dried tomato puree into the broth, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve with crusty bread, lightly toasted.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com
Hamptons Carpet One Floor & Home
We pay less,and so do you.With over 1,000 stores in our buying group, we can get the lowest prices
from the best flooring manufacturers — and pass the savings on to you.Visit our other locations: Hamptons Carpet One Floor & Home, 675 North Sea Road,Southampton, NY 11968
Hamptons luxury real estate specialist for 33 years, Andrea Ackerman offers outstanding expertise in the field.
Hamptons luxury real estate specialist for 33 years, Andrea Ackerman offers outstanding expertise in the field. Trusted, experienced and successful, Andrea has solidified herself as the go-to broker of the Hamptons and a wholehearted advocate for her clients. A pioneer in the real estate industry on the East End of Long Island, she is driven by her passion for the business. Andrea is based in the Bridgehampton office of Brown Harris Stevens as a licensed real estate associate broker and consultant.
Formerly, a principal partner and Senior Director at Brown Harris Stevens, Andrea now assists in developing their corporate strategy for the Hamptons region, advising other brokers and sales associates, as well as being one of the top producers and listors.
Newly Constructed Modern Farmhouse- Nest Seekers
This beautifully, newly constructed masterpiece by Breskin Development in Sag Harbor is located in a peaceful neighborhood, tucked away on a quiet Cul De Sac. Situated on a great builder’s acre, the home offers 7,100+- square feet of high end construction. Walking up to your new home, you notice the stunning exterior, featuring clapboard siding, a cedar and standing seem metal roof, Belgian block and peastone driveway, and an extensive bluestone patio.