Matt Lambert, chef and co-owner of The Musket Room, is sharing his recipe for a favorite Easter entrée with Hamptons.com readers. Inspired by his New Zealand upbringing, Lambert's Slow Roasted Lamb Shoulder is easily approachable for chefs of all levels, making it an Easter menu no brainier.
Slow Roasted Lamb Shoulder:
Slow Roasted Lamb Shoulder. (Courtesy Photo)
• 1 bone out lamb shoulder
• 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
• 1 Tbsp. ground pepper
• Salt (to cover surface area of lamb)
• 3 Tbsp. very, very finely chopped
• 3 Tbsp. very finely chopped thyme leaves (no stalks)
• 6 Tbsp. finely sliced mint
• 2 sticks butter
• 8 sprigs of thyme
• 1 bunch of mint
• 10 cloves garlic (crushed)
1. Rub oil, pepper, salt and herbs on lamb and let stand for 1 to 2 hours in fridge.
2. If you are very kitchen savvy, roll and tie the lamb, as this is the way to get maximum flavor throughout during the cooking process. If not, have the butcher roll and tie the boneless lamb shoulder for you and apply oil and seasoning to the exterior.
3. Pre heat an oven to 135 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Once the oven is at temperature, place the lamb roast in the oven and set your timer for 8 hours. (Note: This method will cook the lamb to a medium in about 4 hours, then hold it at that temperature for about 4 additional hours, allowing the meat to relax and cook slowly without tensing up the protein fibers - think of it as similar to a sous vide, but allowing more flavor to develop with the presence of a dry heat and oxygen.)
5. After 8 hours, remove lamb and let rest for 40 minutes.
6. Once the roast has rested, get a large pan hot, apply a good amount of oil (canola/olive oil blend or grape seed oil) and sear the exterior of the meat. Once it has a nice color on all sides, remove from pan and place back on the rack.
7. Turn down the heat and add your baste ingredients to the pan, with the two sticks of butter going in last to make a brown butter. Be mindful of the heat, avoiding burning the ingredients. When fragrant and foaming, add the lamb back in to the pan.
8. Keep the lamb rolling so no one surface area spends too much time on the pan -this will over cook it. Once well basted, remove from pan, cut string and get ready to carve.
East End Tick Control
The East End's only New York State licensed dedicated tick and mosquito control specialists!
Hamptons Carpet One Floor & Home
We pay less,and so do you.With over 1,000 stores in our buying group, we can get the lowest prices
from the best flooring manufacturers — and pass the savings on to you.Visit our other locations: Hamptons Carpet One Floor & Home, 675 North Sea Road,Southampton, NY 11968
CP Complete- Landscape Design & Construction
Paul Guillo And Chris Hall
Two Of The Most Respected Names In The Community
Together, they are partners in CP Complete. They bring their years of experience
and integrity to creating and renovating luxury backyards.
Hamptons luxury real estate specialist for 33 years, Andrea Ackerman offers outstanding expertise in the field.
Hamptons luxury real estate specialist for 33 years, Andrea Ackerman offers outstanding expertise in the field. Trusted, experienced and successful, Andrea has solidified herself as the go-to broker of the Hamptons and a wholehearted advocate for her clients. A pioneer in the real estate industry on the East End of Long Island, she is driven by her passion for the business. Andrea is based in the Bridgehampton office of Brown Harris Stevens as a licensed real estate associate broker and consultant.
Formerly, a principal partner and Senior Director at Brown Harris Stevens, Andrea now assists in developing their corporate strategy for the Hamptons region, advising other brokers and sales associates, as well as being one of the top producers and listors.
Southrifty Drug 54 Jagger Lane, Southampton Village
Southrifty Drug is a small, neighborhood pharmacy with limited shelf space, and we have to be very selective about which over-the-counter items we carry. As a result you'll find a no nonsense concentration of very effective, high quality and useful products on our shelves. In this new section, we feature a number of these products that we feel are especially worthy of your consideration.