When you think of summer parties, what's the one word that comes to mind? For most of us it's "grilling". There's nothing like chatting in your backyard while flipping burgers and steaks on the BBQ as you celebrate a birthday party, holiday, or just a beautiful weekend with your friends and family.
The problem is that most of us load up on unnecessary calories as we consume double, or even triple the amount of calories we normally would. But even though we want to celebrate with food, there are easy ways to avoid the unhealthy choices and still enjoy eating from the BBQ.
1. Buy lean meats: Lean meats have less fat and therefore less calories. When shopping for beef and pork, look at labels to determine the percentage of lean to fat. You should see very little visible fat on lean cuts. After meat is grilled, covered with condiments, and thrown on a bun, you will never be able to taste that your lean meat contains less fat. That brings me to my next tip.
2. Slather on yellow mustard: Did you know that one fourth of a bottle of regular ketchup is sugar? Yep, that's why it tastes so good. When you want to grab the ketchup bottle, try using mustard instead. It has zero fat and basically no sugar. That is why it contains very few calories. But if you must use ketchup, Heinz makes a reduced sugar ketchup that tastes pretty amazing. Stock up before you start grilling the burgers!
3. Prepare fresh fruit: It's so easy to buy fresh fruit in the Hamptons, and it always tastes great. Instead of setting up snacks like bowls of chips and dip (ranch dressing is full of mayonnaise and sour cream!), put out trays of fruit. Make sure to cut fruit properly and use plastic forks or toothpicks in fruit so they are easy to grab and eat in one bite.
4. Pile the veggies on the grill: Grilled vegetables taste wonderful. They are full of fiber and you never have to worry about eating too many as they are very low in calories and extremely healthy.
5. Eat whole wheat: Whether you like bread, buns, rice, or pasta with your grilled meat, always try to eat the ones that are whole wheat. Carbohydrates made from white starches spike your insulin levels and cause your body to store fat. Whole wheat and whole grain take longer to digest and have a lower glycemic impact.
Once you've gotten through all the eating, how about burning some of the calories? I'm sure your party will have some music, so grab a friend and finish your day with some dancing.
Nicola Mar is an author, model, and conscious living advocate. She grew up in St. Maarten and currently lives in NYC. missmar
Hamptons Carpet One Floor & Home
We pay less,and so do you.With over 1,000 stores in our buying group, we can get the lowest prices
from the best flooring manufacturers — and pass the savings on to you.Visit our other locations: Hamptons Carpet One Floor & Home, 675 North Sea Road,Southampton, NY 11968
Southampton Masonry-Visiting the Southampton or the Wainscott locations is an exciting experience.
Southampton Masonry has been serving Long Island's masonry and tile needs since 1975. Delivering quality products from Manhattan to Montauk for over three decades. The company's continued success is due primarily to their number one priority: customer satisfaction, with a promise of prompt and courteous service from the professional, knowledgeable staff.
Southampton Masonry has the largest inventory on the east end. As direct importers they can offer a large variety of the finest quality products at the most competitive pricing for both your interior and exterior projects.
Southrifty Drug 54 Jagger Lane, Southampton Village
Southrifty Drug is a small, neighborhood pharmacy with limited shelf space, and we have to be very selective about which over-the-counter items we carry. As a result you'll find a no nonsense concentration of very effective, high quality and useful products on our shelves. In this new section, we feature a number of these products that we feel are especially worthy of your consideration.
Burner Law Group, P.C.
Burner Law Group, P.C. are full service elder law attorneys concentrating in the areas of Estate Planning, Trust and Estate Administration and Litigation, Special Needs Planning, Guardianship and Elder Law. Offices in East Setauket‚ NY, Westhampton Beach, NY, and New York, NY.