We know five is the magic number on Cinco de Mayo, but with so many flavor profiles to choose from, we couldn't stop at cinco drinks. From spicy to tropical to sweet, here are eight Cinco de Mayo-inspired cocktails.
El Coco Doble. (Courtesy Photo)
1. Sauza 901 Ruby Sparkler:
• 2 parts Sauza 901 Tequila
• 1 part fresh Grapefruit Juice
• 1/2 part fresh Lemon Juice
• 3/4 part Simple Syrup
• 5 Raspberries, plus more for garnish
• Lemon wheel for garnish
In a mixing glass, muddle five raspberries. Add remaining ingredients and shake. Strain before serving over ice in a highball glass. Garnish with skewered raspberries and a lemon wheel.
2. Partida Breakfast Margarita: (Created by Jacques Bezuidenhout)
• 1 3/4 oz. Partida Blanco Tequila
• 3/4 oz. fresh Lime Juice
• 3/4 ozz Cointreau
• 2 tsp. Orange Marmalade
• 1/2 oz. Agave Syrup (1 part Partida Agave Nectar, 1 part Water)
Add all the ingredients to a shaker and fill with ice. Shake, and strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice. Garnish with an orange slice.
Camarena Caliente. (Courtesy Photo)
3. Spicy Cerveza Cocktail:
Partida Breakfast Margarita. (Courtesy Photo)
• 1 1/2 parts Hornitos Plata Tequila
• 1/3 part Lime Juice
• 1/3 part Simple Syrup
• 1 slice Jalapeņo
• 4 parts Mexican Lager
• Salt for rim
Muddle jalapeņo in a glass with a salted rim, combine remainder of ingredients except Mexican lager in a shaker, shake vigorously, strain over fresh ice and add Mexican lager.
4. El Coco Doble:
• 2 oz. 1800 Coconut Tequila
• 1 oz. Lime Juice
• .75 oz. fresh squeezed Grapefruit Juice
• .5 oz. simple Syrup
Shake with ice and strain into a Collins glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with spent lime shell.
Spicy Cerveza Cocktail and The Golden Margarita. (Courtesy Photos)
5. The Golden Margarita:
• 2 oz. Maestro Dobel Reposado Tequila
• 1 oz. fresh Lime Juice
• 1/2 oz. Agave Nectar
• 4 dashes Angostura Bitters
• 4 dashes Chocolate Bitters
Combine ingredients over ice, shake and serve in coupe. Add Angostura and chocolate bitters.
Sauza 901 Ruby Sparkler. (Courtesy Photo)
6. Camarena Caliente:
• 2 oz. Camarena Silver Tequila
• 3/4 oz. Triple Sec
• 1/2 oz. Sour Mix
• 1 slice Pineapple, muddled
• Cayenne and Cinnamon (Note: Can substitute chili powder for cayenne if not available)
Shake and strain over ice. Sugar rim and garnish with a spice-dusted pineapple spear.
Pinnacle Peppery Pineapple. (Courtesy Photo)
7. Spice of Life: (Created by Damian Winsdor of Power House in LA.)
• 1 oz. Roca Patron
• 1 oz. Patron Citronge Lime
• 1 oz. Frangelico
• 2 Strawberries
• .5 oz. lime juice
• 2 Slices of jalapeno
Muddle strawberries to a paste, add liquid ingredients and cubed ice, shake and strain onto fresh ice in a double old fashioned glass and garnish with a half strawberry and jalapeno slices.
8. Pinnacle Peppery Pineapple:
• 1 part Pinnacle Habanero Vodka
• 1 part Pineapple Juice
• 1/2 part Fresh Lemon Juice
Rim glass with cayenne powder and crushed sea salt. Shake ingredients over ice and strain into a glass.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com