With most of a traditional Thanksgiving Day meal featuring a variety of heavy dishes, a light salad is always a nice way to start. Chef Gail Simmons has created a Shaved Fall Vegetable Salad with Tea-Pickled Radishes that makes a great addition to any holiday meal.
• 1 cup Pure Leaf Sweet Tea (warmed but not boiling)
• 1 tablespoon kosher salt
• 1 cup apple cider vinegar
• 8 small radishes (thinly sliced or 4 large watermelon radishes)
• 2 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
• 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1. In a medium bowl, combine the tea with the salt; stir to dissolve.
2. Add the vinegar along with the radishes, garlic and peppercorns.
3. Cover and refrigerate at least an hour or overnight.
4. Drain the pickled radishes, reserving 1/4 cup of pickling liquid for use in vinaigrette.
5. Set aside.
Note: The drained radishes can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Shaved Vegetable Salad:
• 1/4 cup reserved picking liquid
• 1 tablespoon honey
• Kosher Salt
• Freshly Ground Pepper
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 large fennel bulb (thinly sliced)
• 2 sweet, crisp apples, such as Gala or Fuji (cored and thinly sliced into half moons)
• 2 small heads radicchio (thinly sliced)
• 4 celery stalks (thinly sliced on a bias, leaves reserved for garnish)
• 2 tablespoons roughly chopped
• Tea-Pickled Radishes (see recipe above)
1. Pour the reserved pickling liquid into a large bowl.
2. Add the honey and whisk to combine.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Slowly add olive oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly to emulsify.
5. Add the fennel, apple, radicchio, celery, parsley and pickled radishes to the bowl and toss all ingredients together to coat.
6. Season with more salt and pepper if desired and garnish with celery leaves before serving.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com
Hamptons Carpet One Floor & Home
We pay less,and so do you.With over 1,000 stores in our buying group, we can get the lowest prices
from the best flooring manufacturers — and pass the savings on to you.Visit our other locations: Hamptons Carpet One Floor & Home, 675 North Sea Road,Southampton, NY 11968
Newly Constructed Modern Farmhouse- Nest Seekers
This beautifully, newly constructed masterpiece by Breskin Development in Sag Harbor is located in a peaceful neighborhood, tucked away on a quiet Cul De Sac. Situated on a great builder’s acre, the home offers 7,100+- square feet of high end construction. Walking up to your new home, you notice the stunning exterior, featuring clapboard siding, a cedar and standing seem metal roof, Belgian block and peastone driveway, and an extensive bluestone patio.