Hamptons Holiday Recipe: Gingerbread Cake With Poached Pear
Nothing says the holidays like a homemade gingerbread dessert. For the ultimate end to a festive feast try a gingerbread cake and poached pear created by Simi Winery's Executive Chef, Kolin Vazzoler. The tasty treat should be capped off with a glass of Simi Sonoma County Chardonnay.
• 3 cups sugar
• 3 cups molasses
• 1 1/2 cups oil
• 9 eggs
• 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1 tablespoons ground cloves
• 1 tablespoons ground ginger
• 1/2 tablespoon ground nutmeg
• 6 cups flour
• 2 tablespoons baking soda
• 3 cups boiling water
• Powdered sugar
1. In a bowl, combine sugar, molasses, oil and eggs.
2. Whisk together.
3. Combine salt, spices, flour and baking soda.
4. Stir into molasses mixture.
5. Gradually pour in boiling water.
6. Mix until combined.
7. Pour into a cake pan that has been lined with parchment paper.
8. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
9. Let cool and cut into serving portions.
• 1 cup white wine
• 3 cups water
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
• 4 whole cloves
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 4 lemon strips (2" x 1/2" long)
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
• 6 pears, Bartlett, comice, medium ripe, peeled, halved and cored
1. In a large saucepan, combine, wine, sugar, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean, lemon rind and juice.
2. Bring to a boil and add the pears, return to a boil and simmer pears until a skewer can easily pierce the pears.
3. Cool in liquid and refrigerate until needed.
4. Remove pears from liquid and place next to gingerbread cake.
5. Reheat the poaching liquid and drizzle over the cake and pears for added flavor.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com
East End Tick Control
The East End's only New York State licensed dedicated tick and mosquito control specialists!
Southampton Masonry-Visiting the Southampton or the Wainscott locations is an exciting experience.
Southampton Masonry has been serving Long Island's masonry and tile needs since 1975. Delivering quality products from Manhattan to Montauk for over three decades. The company's continued success is due primarily to their number one priority: customer satisfaction, with a promise of prompt and courteous service from the professional, knowledgeable staff.
Southampton Masonry has the largest inventory on the east end. As direct importers they can offer a large variety of the finest quality products at the most competitive pricing for both your interior and exterior projects.