Hamptons Holiday Recipe: Gingerbread Cake With Poached Pear
Nothing says the holidays like a homemade gingerbread dessert. For the ultimate end to a festive feast try a gingerbread cake and poached pear created by Simi Winery's Executive Chef, Kolin Vazzoler. The tasty treat should be capped off with a glass of Simi Sonoma County Chardonnay.
• 3 cups sugar
• 3 cups molasses
• 1 1/2 cups oil
• 9 eggs
• 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1 tablespoons ground cloves
• 1 tablespoons ground ginger
• 1/2 tablespoon ground nutmeg
• 6 cups flour
• 2 tablespoons baking soda
• 3 cups boiling water
• Powdered sugar
1. In a bowl, combine sugar, molasses, oil and eggs.
2. Whisk together.
3. Combine salt, spices, flour and baking soda.
4. Stir into molasses mixture.
5. Gradually pour in boiling water.
6. Mix until combined.
7. Pour into a cake pan that has been lined with parchment paper.
8. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
9. Let cool and cut into serving portions.
• 1 cup white wine
• 3 cups water
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
• 4 whole cloves
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 4 lemon strips (2" x 1/2" long)
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
• 6 pears, Bartlett, comice, medium ripe, peeled, halved and cored
1. In a large saucepan, combine, wine, sugar, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean, lemon rind and juice.
2. Bring to a boil and add the pears, return to a boil and simmer pears until a skewer can easily pierce the pears.
3. Cool in liquid and refrigerate until needed.
4. Remove pears from liquid and place next to gingerbread cake.
5. Reheat the poaching liquid and drizzle over the cake and pears for added flavor.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com
East End Tick Control
The East End's only New York State licensed dedicated tick and mosquito control specialists!
Hamptons luxury real estate specialist for 33 years, Andrea Ackerman offers outstanding expertise in the field.
Hamptons luxury real estate specialist for 33 years, Andrea Ackerman offers outstanding expertise in the field. Trusted, experienced and successful, Andrea has solidified herself as the go-to broker of the Hamptons and a wholehearted advocate for her clients. A pioneer in the real estate industry on the East End of Long Island, she is driven by her passion for the business. Andrea is based in the Bridgehampton office of Brown Harris Stevens as a licensed real estate associate broker and consultant.
Formerly, a principal partner and Senior Director at Brown Harris Stevens, Andrea now assists in developing their corporate strategy for the Hamptons region, advising other brokers and sales associates, as well as being one of the top producers and listors.