Matt Lambert, chef and co-owner of The Musket Room, is sharing his recipe for a favorite Easter entrée with Hamptons.com readers. Inspired by his New Zealand upbringing, Lambert's Slow Roasted Lamb Shoulder is easily approachable for chefs of all levels, making it an Easter menu no brainier.
Slow Roasted Lamb Shoulder:
Slow Roasted Lamb Shoulder. (Courtesy Photo)
• 1 bone out lamb shoulder
• 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
• 1 Tbsp. ground pepper
• Salt (to cover surface area of lamb)
• 3 Tbsp. very, very finely chopped
• 3 Tbsp. very finely chopped thyme leaves (no stalks)
• 6 Tbsp. finely sliced mint
• 2 sticks butter
• 8 sprigs of thyme
• 1 bunch of mint
• 10 cloves garlic (crushed)
1. Rub oil, pepper, salt and herbs on lamb and let stand for 1 to 2 hours in fridge.
2. If you are very kitchen savvy, roll and tie the lamb, as this is the way to get maximum flavor throughout during the cooking process. If not, have the butcher roll and tie the boneless lamb shoulder for you and apply oil and seasoning to the exterior.
3. Pre heat an oven to 135 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Once the oven is at temperature, place the lamb roast in the oven and set your timer for 8 hours. (Note: This method will cook the lamb to a medium in about 4 hours, then hold it at that temperature for about 4 additional hours, allowing the meat to relax and cook slowly without tensing up the protein fibers - think of it as similar to a sous vide, but allowing more flavor to develop with the presence of a dry heat and oxygen.)
5. After 8 hours, remove lamb and let rest for 40 minutes.
6. Once the roast has rested, get a large pan hot, apply a good amount of oil (canola/olive oil blend or grape seed oil) and sear the exterior of the meat. Once it has a nice color on all sides, remove from pan and place back on the rack.
7. Turn down the heat and add your baste ingredients to the pan, with the two sticks of butter going in last to make a brown butter. Be mindful of the heat, avoiding burning the ingredients. When fragrant and foaming, add the lamb back in to the pan.
8. Keep the lamb rolling so no one surface area spends too much time on the pan -this will over cook it. Once well basted, remove from pan, cut string and get ready to carve.
East End Tick Control
The East End's only New York State licensed dedicated tick and mosquito control specialists!
Southrifty Drug 54 Jagger Lane, Southampton Village
Southrifty Drug is a small, neighborhood pharmacy with limited shelf space, and we have to be very selective about which over-the-counter items we carry. As a result you'll find a no nonsense concentration of very effective, high quality and useful products on our shelves. In this new section, we feature a number of these products that we feel are especially worthy of your consideration.
New York Title Abstract Services, Inc.
We are a title insurance services company dedicated to promptly delivering fully compliant and accurate reports, and title insurance, for residential and commercial real estate throughout New York State. Headquartered in the Hamptons, our professional team has extensive real estate experience and understands the business from all sides including title insurance, legal, sales, governmental, banking, and lending regulations.
As the owner’s representative our practice encompasses all aspects of a project from pre-purchase property due diligence, program development iterations, advisement on systems, analyze contracts/vendors, critical path analysis, feasibility and schedule. The strength of our approach is in facilitating organized communication. We strongly analyze all representations and warranties for the protection and benefit of our client.
The Citarella Standard. We’re passionate about sourcing and selling the world’s best seafood. When you order our fresh seafood online, what you receive always reflects the unrivaled standard of our markets. It’s hand-prepared, never frozen, and shipped overnight. 631-283-6600.