While we all know the star of the show on Super Bowl
Sunday is the wings, Chef Michael Symon
's Grilled Knob Creek Rye
Whiskey Pork Meatballs on Skewers makes a great first course as you watch the Seattle Seahawks
and New England Patriots
fight for the title of Super Bowl XLIX champion.
Grilled Knob Creek Rye Whiskey Pork Meatballs on Skewers:
(Recipe Serves 6)
• olive oil for drizzling
• 8-inch bamboo skewers
• 1 lime
• 1 1⁄2 lbs. ground pork
• 1⁄4 cup of Knob Creek Rye Whiskey
• 2 lemongrass stalks
• 2 small shallots
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
• 2 tablespoons chopped
• 3 green onions
• 1-inch piece ginger
• 1 small jalapeno
• 1 small carrot
• 2 tablespoons fish sauce
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon coarse salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the grill to medium heat.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix together the pork, Knob Creek Rye Whiskey, shallots, garlic, cilantro, mint, green onion, ginger, jalapeno, carrot, fish sauce, coriander, salt and pepper. (Note: This can be done 1 day ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator like this or formed into meatballs.)
3. Begin forming the meatballs using a rounded T of the meat mixture, then rolling in meatballs.
4. Set on a sheet tray while you form the remaining meatballs.
5. When all of the meatballs are formed, place 2 on each skewer towards the top.
6. Flatten slightly with the palm
of your hand for more even cooking, then drizzle with olive oil and place on your preheated grill.
7. Cook until nicely grill marked and cooked though, about 3 minutes per side.
8. Remove and place on a platter.
9. Serve with a squeeze of lime.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com