With National Spaghetti Day (Sunday, January 4th) right around the corner, Chef CJ Bivona has shared with Hamptons.com the recipe for Nonna's Fried Pasta, a dish that has sentimental value for the Executive Chef at Upper East Side Italian favorite Petaluma.
"My fried pasta dish is very near and dear to me," expressed Bivonna. "It's a dish that my grandmother would make for me during the time I spent with her while she was watching me as a young child."
Nonna's Fried Pasta:
• 3 32 oz. San Marzano Tomatoes
• 3 onions
• 1 carrots
• 8 garlic cloves (crushed)
• 1/2 oz. of basil
• pinch of crushed red pepper
• salt (to taste)
• pepper (to taste)
• sugar (to taste)
1. Sweat out onions and carrots together; add celery 10 to 12 minutes after.
2. Cook until celery is translucent, reduce heat.
3. Add garlic; cook another 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes and the sachet of basil, cook for 2 to 4 hours until liquid is almost gone.
5. Season with salt, sugar, and black pepper.
6. Reserve basil and chiffonade, fold into cooled marinara.
• Ground beef
• Ground veal
• 2 slices of Layflat Bacon
• 1/4 cup of parsley
• 1/4 cup of sage
• 1/4 cup of basil
• 1/4 small diced onion
• 1 cup of panko
• 1 whole egg
• 1/4 cup of garlic
• 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan
1. Chop all herbs sand garlic.
2. Lightly beat eggs.
3. Mix all ingredients by hand.
4. Roll to 5 to 6 oz. each.
5. Sear in a sauté pan until golden brown.
6. Transfer to a vat of hot marinara sauce.
7. Cook in sauce for at least 2 hours, the longer the better.
• fresh rolled spaghetti (or any spaghetti found in the local grocery
• olive oil
1. Boil the pasta in water for 8 minutes (one minute less than the box states).
2. Drain water and place in small plastic container.
3. Place the pasta in the fridge until it sticks together.
4. Fry with a little olive oil on high.
5. Take the pasta cake out of the container onto the frying pan.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Sear it in the hot oil until its golden brown.
8. Top with hot meatball and sauce, cover with grated Parmesan cheese.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com
East End Tick Control
The East End's only New York State licensed dedicated tick and mosquito control specialists!
Southrifty Drug 54 Jagger Lane, Southampton Village
Southrifty Drug is a small, neighborhood pharmacy with limited shelf space, and we have to be very selective about which over-the-counter items we carry. As a result you'll find a no nonsense concentration of very effective, high quality and useful products on our shelves. In this new section, we feature a number of these products that we feel are especially worthy of your consideration.
New York Title Abstract Services, Inc.
We are a title insurance services company dedicated to promptly delivering fully compliant and accurate reports, and title insurance, for residential and commercial real estate throughout New York State. Headquartered in the Hamptons, our professional team has extensive real estate experience and understands the business from all sides including title insurance, legal, sales, governmental, banking, and lending regulations.
As the owner’s representative our practice encompasses all aspects of a project from pre-purchase property due diligence, program development iterations, advisement on systems, analyze contracts/vendors, critical path analysis, feasibility and schedule. The strength of our approach is in facilitating organized communication. We strongly analyze all representations and warranties for the protection and benefit of our client.
The Citarella Standard. We’re passionate about sourcing and selling the world’s best seafood. When you order our fresh seafood online, what you receive always reflects the unrivaled standard of our markets. It’s hand-prepared, never frozen, and shipped overnight. 631-283-6600.