Patissier Francois Payard has created a decadent twist on a holiday classic, sweet potato pie. Featuring only nine ingredients, the Sweet Potato Dark Chocolate Tart is not only easy to create; the filling can be made a full week in advance saving valuable time on Thanksgiving.
Francois Payard's Sweet Potato Dark Chocolate Tart:
serves 8 to 10
Francois Payard's Sweet Potato Dark Chocolate Tart. (Courtesy Photo)
• 1 frozen puff pastry sheet (14 ounces), thawed
• Confectioners¹ sugar
Sweet Potato Filling:
• 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and halved lengthwise
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 2 tablespoons maple syrup
• 8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
• 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
• 1 cup heavy cream
• Fleur de Sel or coarse salt
Sweet Potato Filling Directions:
1) Top sweet potatoes halves with 1/2 tablespoon of butter and maple syrup over each half. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake at 400°F for 1 hour, or until a knife easily pierces through their flesh.
2) Remove sweet potatoes from the oven and purée them in a food processor until smooth.
3) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and place a 9 x 2 12-inch-high cake ring mold on the baking sheet.* Fill the ring with the purée and place the baking sheet in the freezer until the cake sets, at least 1 hour or up to 1 week (tightly wrapped in plastic wrap).
* Alternatively, use a springform or pie plate lined with parchment paper.
1) On a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry to about 14 inch thick and 9 inches wide. Pierce the surface with a fork and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Cut a 9-inch round out of the puff pastry using a round 9-inch cake pan.
2) Place a piece of parchment paper over the puff pastry and cover with a wire cooling rack to keep it from rising too much. Bake for 15 in a 375°F oven minutes, then remove the rack and increase the heat to 450°F. Sift some confectioners¹ sugar over the top of the puff pastry, and bake for 5 more minutes, until the sugar begins to caramelize and darken. Remove the base from the oven, and set it aside to cool.
3) One hour before serving, remove sweet potato puree from the freezer. Gently lift the ring from the cake and place filling on a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet.
4) Make the Dark Chocolate Glaze by heating heavy cream to boil over medium heat. Place dark chocolate and corn syrup in a bowl. Pour the hot cream over the dark chocolate and whisk until smooth.
5) Pour the glaze over the purée, completely covering it. When the glaze has slightly set, after 3 to 5 minutes, place the purée on top of the puff pastry.
6) Decorate the sides of the tart with dark chocolate shards leftover from the glaze, and sprinkle fleur de sel over its top. Serve at room temperature. The tart can be assembled up to 6 hours before serving.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com
Southampton Masonry-Visiting the Southampton or the Wainscott locations is an exciting experience.
Southampton Masonry has been serving Long Island's masonry and tile needs since 1975. Delivering quality products from Manhattan to Montauk for over three decades. The company's continued success is due primarily to their number one priority: customer satisfaction, with a promise of prompt and courteous service from the professional, knowledgeable staff.
Southampton Masonry has the largest inventory on the east end. As direct importers they can offer a large variety of the finest quality products at the most competitive pricing for both your interior and exterior projects.
CP Complete- Landscape Design & Construction
Paul Guillo And Chris Hall
Two Of The Most Respected Names In The Community
Together, they are partners in CP Complete. They bring their years of experience
and integrity to creating and renovating luxury backyards.
Calissa is Mykonos in the Hamptons.
Our menu focuses on seafood and Greek dishes such as salt baked fish, seafood pasta and Mediterranean mezze. Our wine list has been awarded The Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator and boasts the largest selection of rosé in the Hamptons. The name Calissa is derived from the brightest constellation in the summer sky.Our sister restaurants in New York are Amali and Bar Marseille, opening 2020 in the Rockaways. Calissa offers private dining spaces for groups from 10 to 300 people. To plan your next wedding, corporate event or gathering, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. 1020 MONTAUK HIGHWAY, WATER MILL