My wedding day occurred in the height of an East End springtime day but during a nor'easter. Record rainfall flooded the parking lot. Funny thing is that I was hoping to have my wedding at the Rams Head Inn
on Shelter Island. My wife did not want everyone taking ferries so we chose Sunset Harbor and even with the record storm all but six of our guests made it. Most of that day the Shelter Island ferries did not run, many say my wife is very psychic.
For a few years I used to write for the largest Hamptons weekly about the wonderful wedding options available on the East End, specifically in Montauk. I wrote about the Gurney's
Beach weddings, the Montauk Yacht Club
weddings and even posh ones at the Maidstone
Club. However I was married on the banks of the Great South Bay and that day the bay, due to flooding, was in fact part of the parking lot. I laugh about it now, but not so much that day. I remember how proud I was of my family and 30 to 40 Hamptons friends who all drove through that storm to witness our big day.
I love wedding cake. I have always loved wedding cake since as long as I can remember. Needless to say I was really glad there was so much left over to take home after our wedding. There are many types of wedding cake, my favorite is straight vanilla. That's what our wedding cake was, but there are so many other types. In a 2014 Bride Box Wedding Album Blog, they listed their top 8 wedding cake flavors. As I reminisce about mine, I thought I would share the top options.
1. Red Velvet: "Appropriately named for its deep red color, red velvet cake is the perfect hue to represent love and romance on your wedding day. Its flavor is not quite chocolaty yet not quite vanilla either. It is rich and smooth and is frequently paired with cream cheese frosting." (Not a favorite of mine.)
2. Chocolate: "With so many different levels of richness and options for flavor pairings, chocolate remains to be one of the most popular wedding cake flavors of the year. What typically is a childhood favorite can be elevated to a sophisticated level when mixed with flavor accents such as mint, orange and strawberry."
3. White Chocolate with Raspberry: "Combining the sweet richness of white chocolate with the tart fruitiness of raspberry is a winning combination that is soaring in popularity. Whether it's a raspberry jam, raspberry cream or fresh raspberry filling, this delicious pairing is a refreshing take on the traditional chocolate flavored cakes."
4. Lemon: "Light and tangy, lemon cakes are one of the most popular flavor trends of the year. This citrus flavor is perfect for a spring wedding and is a great choice for couples who don't want a cake that is too heavy and rich. Pair with raspberries or strawberries and whipped cream for a tasty fruity blend, or stick to lemon buttercream frosting to complete the cake."
5. Vanilla: "You can't go wrong with plain vanilla, and many couples are choosing to go with tradition with a vanilla wedding cake. This is one of the most basic cakes and can be kept simple with vanilla frosting, or it can be dressed up any way you like with essentially any frosting, filling or fruit. " (I like it plain.)
6. Coconut and Lime: "Channel the tropics with this tasty flavor combo that is reminiscent of an island vacation. Rich and creamy coconut cake combined with tangy and tart lime filling or frosting is a match made in heaven." (Not sure if I agree.)
7. Pink Champagne: "Pink Champagne wedding cakes are unique in that instead of using water in the batter, champagne is used. The pink color is achieved with food coloring dye. What better way to celebrate than with some bubbly in your cake? Common fillings and toppings for a champagne cake include rum flavored custard, dyed pink white chocolate shavings and Bavarian whipped cream. (I have never seen this one, how about you?)
8. Carrot Cake: "The ideal cake flavor for couples who want to go the non-traditional route, carrot cake is a popular choice. This soft, dense cake is moist and has a lovely consistency due to grated carrots and nuts being main components of the batter. It is typically deliciously paired with a cream cheese frosting. Carrot cake is a great alternative to the more common flavors such as chocolate and vanilla." (Carrot cake is my wife's favorite cake.)
Hopefully very soon this spring you will sampling a wedding cake. I literally wrote this column today dressed and ready to head to a wedding anticipating what kind of wedding cake they will have. I can already taste it!
East End Tick Control
The East End's only New York State licensed dedicated tick and mosquito control specialists!
CP Complete- Landscape Design & Construction
Paul Guillo And Chris Hall
Two Of The Most Respected Names In The Community
Together, they are partners in CP Complete. They bring their years of experience
and integrity to creating and renovating luxury backyards.
Hamptons luxury real estate specialist for 33 years, Andrea Ackerman offers outstanding expertise in the field.
Hamptons luxury real estate specialist for 34 years, Andrea Ackerman offers outstanding expertise in the field. Trusted, experienced and successful, Andrea has solidified herself as the go-to broker of the Hamptons and a wholehearted advocate for her clients. A pioneer in the real estate industry on the East End of Long Island, she is driven by her passion for the business. Andrea is based in the Bridgehampton office of Brown Harris Stevens as a licensed real estate associate broker and consultant.
Formerly, a principal partner and Senior Director at Brown Harris Stevens, Andrea now assists in developing their corporate strategy for the Hamptons region, advising other brokers and sales associates, as well as being one of the top producers and listors.
Southrifty Drug 54 Jagger Lane, Southampton Village
Southrifty Drug is a small, neighborhood pharmacy with limited shelf space, and we have to be very selective about which over-the-counter items we carry. As a result you'll find a no nonsense concentration of very effective, high quality and useful products on our shelves. In this new section, we feature a number of these products that we feel are especially worthy of your consideration.
Burner Law Group, P.C.
Burner Law Group, P.C. are full service elder law attorneys concentrating in the areas of Estate Planning, Trust and Estate Administration and Litigation, Special Needs Planning, Guardianship and Elder Law. Offices in East Setauket‚ NY, Westhampton Beach, NY, and New York, NY.
Calissa is Mykonos in the Hamptons.
Our menu focuses on seafood and Greek dishes such as salt baked fish, seafood pasta and Mediterranean mezze. Our wine list has been awarded The Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator and boasts the largest selection of rosé in the Hamptons. The name Calissa is derived from the brightest constellation in the summer sky.Our sister restaurants in New York are Amali and Bar Marseille, opening 2020 in the Rockaways. Calissa offers private dining spaces for groups from 10 to 300 people. To plan your next wedding, corporate event or gathering, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. 1020 MONTAUK HIGHWAY, WATER MILL
WordHampton Public Relations
We build client revenues and reputations.
Our reputation is built on delivering a strong media presence and, as a result, demand for our clients' offerings, resulting in a positive impact on sales. Successful campaigns start with understanding the goals of our clients and developing a customized strategy that will achieve those objectives.