Six-term Democratic Rep. Tim Bishop
was defeated by Republican
challenger Lee Zeldin
in the NY-01 Congressional Race on Election Day
. Bishop, of Southampton, was endorsed in 2014 by both the Independence and Working Families parties, while Zeldin, a New York State Senator from Shirley, was endorsed by the Conservative Party. The race was significant as this is the first time in 12 years the district, which spans from Smithtown to Montauk and Orient points, will be under Republican control.
Zeldin defeated Bishop by a large margin, taking home 54.8 percent of the vote as compared to Bishop's 45.2 percent. The race was a rematch of 2008, when Zeldin first attempted to unseat Bishop, which had significantly different results. In 2008, Zeldin gained 41.6 percent of the vote leaving Bishop with 58.4 percent.
"In Congress, I will fight tirelessly every day to restore the American dream for my family and yours by working to grow our economy and create good paying private sector jobs, securing our borders and America's interests abroad, fighting for our veterans who have fought for us, repealing and replacing Obamacare and improving the quality of education in our schools," Zeldin released in a statement following his win.
In the race for Governor, Democrat Andrew M. Cuomo
easily earned his second term by defeating Republican challenger Rob Astorino 53.98 percent to 40.58 percent.
But nationwide, the Republicans won control of Senate and the GOP retains majority in House.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com
East End Tick Control
The East End's only New York State licensed dedicated tick and mosquito control specialists!
Hamptons Carpet One Floor & Home
We pay less,and so do you.With over 1,000 stores in our buying group, we can get the lowest prices
from the best flooring manufacturers — and pass the savings on to you.Visit our other locations: Hamptons Carpet One Floor & Home, 675 North Sea Road,Southampton, NY 11968
Southampton Masonry-Visiting the Southampton or the Wainscott locations is an exciting experience.
Southampton Masonry has been serving Long Island's masonry and tile needs since 1975. Delivering quality products from Manhattan to Montauk for over three decades. The company's continued success is due primarily to their number one priority: customer satisfaction, with a promise of prompt and courteous service from the professional, knowledgeable staff.
Southampton Masonry has the largest inventory on the east end. As direct importers they can offer a large variety of the finest quality products at the most competitive pricing for both your interior and exterior projects.
CP Complete- Landscape Design & Construction
Paul Guillo And Chris Hall
Two Of The Most Respected Names In The Community
Together, they are partners in CP Complete. They bring their years of experience
and integrity to creating and renovating luxury backyards.
Hamptons luxury real estate specialist for 33 years, Andrea Ackerman offers outstanding expertise in the field.
Hamptons luxury real estate specialist for 33 years, Andrea Ackerman offers outstanding expertise in the field. Trusted, experienced and successful, Andrea has solidified herself as the go-to broker of the Hamptons and a wholehearted advocate for her clients. A pioneer in the real estate industry on the East End of Long Island, she is driven by her passion for the business. Andrea is based in the Bridgehampton office of Brown Harris Stevens as a licensed real estate associate broker and consultant.
Formerly, a principal partner and Senior Director at Brown Harris Stevens, Andrea now assists in developing their corporate strategy for the Hamptons region, advising other brokers and sales associates, as well as being one of the top producers and listors.