Tim and Barbara Mott. (Edward Callaghan)
- This Sunday, December 18, the tranquil Cormaria Retreat House in Sag Harbor opened its greenery festooned doors for the annual Ivy Breakfast. Sister Ann Marino
and her fellow sisters served up a sumptuous breakfast for the community. Families from all across the East End filled the spacious dining room and enjoyed holiday time at the majestic hilltop mansion overlooking the bay.
The house, originally built for California real estate developer Frank Havens
, was completed in 1905 and still contains its original Tiffany Studios windows and elegant hardwood interior decor.
In 1943, the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary established Cormaria as a finishing school for young Catholic women. In 1949, it was converted to a Retreat Center.
In 1960 an extension was added, providing 28 additional beds. After Vatican II, the Retreat
House programs were broadened to include men as well as women. The Retreat House can now accommodate up to 72 retreatants.
Sister Angela and Sister Virginia. (Edward Callaghan)
Cormaria offers retreat services throughout the year, including directed and theme-based retreats, guided retreats, on-going spiritual direction, Day of Prayer, celebrations, weekend retreats for individuals in recovery, and retreats for professionals.
Over the past 10 years, three retreat houses on Long Island have closed. Cormaria, which is staffed by members of the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary, now offers eastern Long Island's only Catholic retreat services expressing the mission of their community in a ministry of hospitality to all who spend time there.
Thanks to Sister Ann
, Sister Catherine Browne
, Sister Scholastica Gonzalez
, Sister Angela Maloney
, Sister Virginia McKenna
, Sister Andrew Murcia
, Linda Lacchia
, Carol Ahler
and chefs Bill De Petris
and his grandson Eric Gilliam
for a delightful start for a sun-filled day.