- In the U.S. more than 10 percent of children are diagnosed with psychiatric disorders, while countless others remain undiagnosed. Defining what is "normal" and what is not is of great concern to anyone who works with, guides, nurtures, teaches, or parents a child.
With new discoveries in mental disorders that affect children, 'Child Psychology & Development For Dummies" (Wiley Publishing, Inc., $19.99) provides an informational guide to cognitive development at every stage of a child's life, as well as how to diagnose, treat, and overcome the cognitive barriers that impede learning and development.
Other valuable lessons include:
• How to identify and treat mental disorders
• Tips for parents to guide child development
• Ins and outs of behavior disorders including: autism, attention deficit disorder, reading disabilities, bipolar disorder, and more
• How teachers shape kids: Praising kids in the classroom
• Detecting signs of trouble in kids for early intervention
• Guidance on helping a child control impulses, develop self-esteem, and have good relationships
• Four goals of successful childhood
An essential guide for parents, teachers, and caregivers, "Child Psychology & Development For Dummies" provides a detailed overview of an average child's cognitive development, how to detect abnormalities, and what to do next. Look no further for the answers to why kids behave and think the way they do - and how to bring out the best in them.
About The Authors
Laura L. Smith
, PhD, is a clinical and school psychologist. Charles H. Elliott
, PhD, is a clinical psychologist and founding fellow of the Academy of Cognitive Therapy. Together they have written several books, including "Borderline Personality Disorder For Dummies" and "Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder For Dummies."
About For Dummies
After nearly 20 years and with more than 200 million copies printed, For Dummies is the world's bestselling reference series, well known for enriching people's lives by making knowledge accessible in a fun and easy way. The books span every section of the bookstore, covering topics from health to history, music to math, sports to self-help, technology to travel, and more. The For Dummies brand presence is further expanded with the addition of eBooks, a corporate custom publishing program, a robust consumer website, and a licensed product line that includes consumer electronics, culinary, crafts, video, software, musical instrument packs, home improvement, automotive, game, and more.
For more information, click here.