It may all be about the Derby hat at Churchill Downs
, but that doesn't mean your 'do can't be just as glamorous as your headwear. Whether you're actually in Louisville
or attending a Hamptons Kentucky Derby
party, this Derby hairstyle is definitely a must-have. "Events like the Kentucky Derby call for elaborate hats, but the look can become too busy when the hair is worn down or if the hair is too textured," noted Pureology Artistic Ambassador Ruth Roche. "If you are going to wear it down, wear smooth waves all over to one side."
Pureology's Kentucky Derby Side Chignon. (Courtesy Photo)
Roche says the stunning side chignon pairs well with a showstopping hat. "Wearing your hair in a side chignon, which sits to one side at the nape, is a beautiful and visible style to wear with a hat without distracting from the hat's beauty," said Roche. "Another benefit is that the hair will still look great when you take off the hat. No hat hair!"
How To Achieve The Look:
1. Blow dry hair with Pureology Pure Volume Levitation Mist and a round brush to create volume and hold.
2. Curl away from the face using a 1 3/4 inch barrel iron. Set style with Colour Stylist Strengthening Control zero dulling hairspray as you go.
3. Create a side part, smooth over and around the head and create a sleek ponytail on one side at the nape.
4. Apply a small amount of Colour Stylist Cuticle Polisher shine serum into your palm and rub palms together until the cream turns to a serum. Smooth over the entire surface of the hair except for the ponytail, which will create amazing shine.
5. Twist ponytail all the way to the end, and hold on to the ends. Use your other hand to hold the hair close to the head as you wrap the twisted ponytail around the elastic.
6. When you reach the ends, tuck them under the 'bun' you have created and secure with bobby pins.
7. Spray with Colour Stylist Supreme Control high hold hairspray for a lasting hold.
For more information, visit www.pureology.com.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com