- Laoste introduces its first ever collection of male fragrances, inspired by one of the world's most famous pieces of clothing, the Lacoste
Designed in 1927 by the tennis legend himself, René Lacoste
, this renowned garment was celebrated by fellow tennis champions for the elegant simplicity of its design and the freedom of movement the petit piqué fabric gave its wearer. It was an audacious offering that would forever change the way sportswear was designed, and has since become a fashion staple of men's wardrobes the world over thanks to its chic simplicity.
The shirt known as the L.12.12 took time and dedication to create, as its cryptic name testifies. L stands for Lacoste, 1 is a reference to the unique fabric (cotton petit piqué) and 2 means short sleeved. The second 12 relates to the number of prototypes that had to be produced until René Lacoste was happy with the result, giving a unique insight into the champion's sense of perfectionism and hands-on approach to design. Now, for the first time, Lacoste has captured the essence of this timeless classic in a collection of three new fragrances: Eau de Lacoste L.12.12
Available in October 2011, the three masculine scents - Blanc
- all capture the feeling of lightness, coolness and freshness the petit piqué fabric gave René Lacoste when he wore it, and each is adorned with the now legendary crocodile logo that was inspired by the tenacious champion's nickname.
L.12.12 - The Fragrance
• Blanc Edition: Inspired by the classic white L.12.12 shirt, the fragrance opens with a fresh, woody and herbal blend of grapefruit, rosemary, cardamom and cedar leaf to create a clean and aromatic first impression. These notes blend with a uniquely masculine, floral heart accord comprising a natural tuberose, ylang ylang and olibanum that gives the scent its purity. The base of the fragrance merges cedarwood and georgywood with fresher notes of vetiver. The result is a timeless classic but with a masculine and woody tenacity.
• Bleu Edition: The Blue edition moves from the pure classic scent of L.12.12 Blanc to something more powerful. The top notes combine a dose of citrusy grapefruit with cool aquatic notes of peppermint and watery fruits. At the heart there is a smooth and aromatic accord of sage which blends with an earthy dry down of patchouli, amber wood and oak moss to create a deep, powerful, and intensely masculine scent.
• Vert Edition: A fresh and natural scent, L.12.12 Vert opens with a cocktail of citrus notes combining bergamot, verbena and grapefruit. This bright blend of top notes is balanced by a relaxing heart accord consisting of blue lavender, thyme, violet leaf and fig. At the base there is the sparkling scent of natural living bamboo grass, a note unique to this scent which drives the feeling of fresh, green wood within the fragrance.
"With Eau de Lacoste L.12.12, we have distilled the experience of pulling on that petit piqué fabric which gave René Lacoste that all-important feeling of lightness, coolness and freshness. The fragrance comes in a collection of colours representing three different moods, classic and pure; masculine and powerful; or relaxed and natural," say Lewis Peacock
, P&G Fragrance Creation Team.
L.12.12 - The Packaging
Chic simplicity: Uncomplicated, elegant and fit for purpose; a design synonymous with René Lacoste's ethos, each fragrance is captured in a glass flacon that has been created to mirror the chic simplicity and shape of the Lacoste L.12.12 shirt, complete with a textured piqué panel running down the side of the bottle. A real textile crocodile logo sits at the heart of the flacon, a recognisable symbol of the brand and a tribute to the forward-thinking René Lacoste who pioneered the concept of putting a logo on the outer of a garment.
An Audacious Challenge
From identifying the right glue to purchasing a special machine that would apply logo to bottle, as well as trips to Vietnam and then back to France to source the best quality textile crocs, there were multiple challenges to overcome during the process of attaching the renowned logo to the glass flacon. A challenge Lacoste himself would have thrived on!
"It took more than 25 tests over a period of six to eight months before the correct glue was found and the croc positioning had to be checked on every single bottle. In the end the results speak for themselves and we have successfully developed a bottle that perfectly captures a Lacoste L.12.12 shirt both in terms of look and quality," stated Gemma Collinson
, Packaging Development Manager.
The bottles are fittingly coloured white, blue and green. The white representing the original, iconic colour inextricrably linked with the Lacoste tennis heritage. The blue and the green bottles are representative of the most timeless masculine colours from the brand's 'homeland
.' Each flacon is housed in an elegant outer carton in its matching colour; the textured material of the carton once again reflecting the petit piqué woven cotton of the L.12.12 shirt.
L.12.12 - Line-up
• EDT 100 ml - $62
• EDT 30 ml - $39