On Sunday, February 7, Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs and Tom Brady
and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
will battle it out for the Vince Lombardi
Trophy during Super Bowl
LV. Whether you're watching to see if Brady can earn his seventh Super Bowl title or Mahomes leads the Chiefs to their second consecutive Super Bowl win - or are just in it for the commercials and halftime show, we all know the evening is not complete without some wings.
Luckily, Pepper Teigen - AKA Chrissy Teigen
's mom - has shared her delicious Crispy Chicken Wing recipe, along with her go-to pairing. "I love introducing Thai flavors to everyone through my food - my recipes are so simple to make, delicious and fun!" said Pepper Teigen. "To me, BABE is the exact same way and pairs well with so many dishes, including my Crispy Chicken Wings."
Crispy Chicken Wings:
Serves 4 to 6
• 3 pounds chicken wings, patted dry
• 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons fish sauce
• 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
• 1/2 tablespoon ground white pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• Vegetable oil, for deep-fry
• 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• Thai sweet chili sauce or Spicy Garlic-Lime Fish
1. Put the chicken wings in a large bowl. Add the fish sauce, garlic powder, white pepper, and salt and toss to coat. Set aside for 15 minutes (or refrigerate for 30 minutes).
2. Meanwhile, fill a wok, large heavy pot, or deep skillet with at least 2 inches of oil, making sure to leave a few inches of clearance from the rim. Heat the oil over medium heat to 370 F (use a deep-fry thermometer or test the oil by throwing in a little piece of bread or a grain of rice; if it sizzles immediately but doesn't burn, you're ready). Set a wire rack in a sheet pan or line a plate with paper towels and have it nearby.
3. While the oil is heating, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Sprinkle the mixture over the wings and toss until a paste forms, making sure all the wings are evenly coated.
4. When the oil is hot, add 4 or 5 wings to the pan and fry until they're a deep golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. The color of the crust will tell you when they're cooked, so keep an eye on the wings and adjust the heat as needed as you're frying.
5. Drain the wings on the wire rack or paper towels and fry the next batch. Serve warm with sweet chili sauce or, if you like it hot, try the spicy fish sauce.
Reprinted from The Pepper Thai Cookbook. Copyright © 2021 by Vilailuck Teigen with Garrett Snyder. Photographs copyright © 2021 by Jenny Huang. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Random House.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com