What happens when National Taco Day is on a Taco Tuesday (October 4th)? You simply have to celebrate. This six ingredient variation, courtesy of the National Pork Board, takes just 20 minutes to make and is full of flavor.
Soft Pork Tacos with Orange Adobo:
• 4 New York (top loin) pork chops, about 3/4-inch thick
• 2 medium oranges
• 1 teaspoon habanero chile sauce, plus more for serving
• 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
• 1 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
• 1/2 cup queso fresco cheese, OR feta cheese, crumbled
1. Finely grate zest from 1 orange; then juice orange. Cut peel off remaining orange, and cut orange between membranes; set segments aside.
2. In a shallow glass or ceramic dish, mix orange zest and juice with hot sauce and garlic salt. Add chops, turn to coat, and spoon orange marinade over chops. Let stand 15 to 30 minutes while heating grill.
3. Prepare a grill to medium-high heat (about 450 degrees F.). Remove chops from marinade and discard marinade. Grill chops over direct heat until the internal temperature reaches between 145 degrees F. (medium rare) and 160 degrees F. (medium), on a meat thermometer, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer chops to cutting board and let rest 3 minutes.
4. Warm tortillas on grill for about 1 minute on each side; transfer tortillas to plate. Thinly slice chops across the grain. Make each taco with 1 tortilla, half a chop, 1-2 orange segments, and top with lettuce and queso fresco. Serve with additional hot sauce on the side.
For other recipes, visit www.porkbeinspired.com.