Not sure what to sip on as you anxiously watch "the most exciting two minutes in sports" unfold? Here's a few fun twists on the traditional sip, a mint julep.
Woodford Reserve® 2018 Kentucky Derby® $1000 Mint Julep: (The actual julep served at the derby!)
Slow & Low Julep. (Courtesy Photo)
• 2 oz. Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Bourbon
• 1 tsp Woodford County, Kentucky, Sorghum Simple Syrup
• 2 Leaves of Kentucky Colonel Mint
• 3 Spray Red Roses, for garnish
• Sprig of Mint, for garnish
• Single Rose Petal from the Garland of Roses (which is draped on the winning Derby horse), for garnish
Rub mint around the julep cup, expressing the essential oils. Add remaining ingredients and top with crushed ice made from limestone-filtered water sourced from the Woodford Reserve Distillery. Churn ingredients with a bar spoon distributing the flavor. Top with additional crushed ice and garnish.
Slow & Low Julep:
• 3 oz of Slow & Low Rye Whiskey
• 1/2 oz of Simple Syrup, Preferably Demerara
• 10 springs Mint (Reserve 1 sprig for garnish)
• Crushed Ice
Muddle whiskey and mint in a mix glass. Add 1 large cube of ice. Stir, but not so much as to dilute - a baker's dozen revolutions. Add liberal amounts of crushed ice to more than fill the tin cup. Fine strain contents of mix into a glass over crushed ice. Garnish with six mint leaves.
Rosé Cider Julep:
Rosé Cider Julep. (Courtesy Photo)
The Founder's Reserve Packhorse Cocktail. (Courtesy Photo)
• 4-5 oz. Angry Orchard
• .5 oz. Bourbon
• .5 oz. Creme de Cassis
• .5 oz. Simple Syrup
• 6-8 Mint Leaves
Muddle mint in the bottom of a Julep Tin. Add the rest of the ingredients and then fill the Julep Tin with crushed ice. Garnish with a lavish mint bouquet.
The Founder's Reserve Packhorse Cocktail:
• 1 part The Glenlivet Founder's Reserve
• 1 part Ginger Beer
• Splash of Lemon Juice
Add Founder's Reserve and lemon juice to a glass Top with ice and then pour in ginger beer.
Garland of Roses: (Created by Max Green)
• 1 oz. Templeton Rye
• 2 oz. Carpano Antica Formula
• 2 dash Scrappy's Lime Bitters
• Lemon Twist,for garnish
Add all ingredients to the mixing glass, stir and strain into a chilled coup, garnish with a lemon twist.
Garland of Roses. (Courtesy Photo)
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com