When you think about a margarita, your mind might wander to summer or your favorite exotic locale. With National Margarita Day falling on Monday, February 22nd, why not kickoff one of your dreary winter weeks with a bang by celebrating the tequila-based treasure? And if you're really feeling crazy, whip up one of these for your next Taco Tuesday.
Stargarita. (Courtesy Photo)
1. Chipotle Cocoa Margarita:
• 3 Slices of Orange
• 1 Slice of Lemon
• 1/4 oz. Light Agave
• 2 oz. Avión
• Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
• Chipotle Powder
Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice, and shake vigorously. Strain into a glass that has been rimmed with a mixture of cocoa powder and chipotle powder, and garnish with an orange twist.
2. Stargarita: (Created by Bettina Barnoczki of the Faena Hotel in Miami)
• 1.5 oz. Patrón Silver Infused with Mint Tea*
• .5 oz. Patrón Citrónge Mango
• .5 oz. fresh Lime Juice
• .5 oz. Star Fruit Puree or Muddled Star Fruit
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake with ice to chill. Strain over fresh ice into a salt-rimmed Collins glass. Garnish with a slice of star fruit and a lime wheel.
* Patrón Silver Infused with Mint Tea: Steep 4 mint tea bags per 12 oz of Patrón Silver for 30 minutes. Remove teabags.
Chipotle Cocoa Margarita, Sweet Heat Margarita, and Hornitos Toro Margarita. (Courtesy Photos)
3. Hornitos Toro Margarita:
• 2 parts Hornitos® Plata Tequila
• 3/4 part John DeKuyper
& Sons™ O3 Premium Orange Liqueur
• 1/2 part Lemon Juice
• 1/2 part Pineapple Juice
• 2 Pieces of Sage
Pour ingredients into a shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a rocks glass with ice and garnish with the sage leaves.
Perfect Pear Margarita. (Courtesy Photo)
4. Sweet Heat Margarita:
• 1 1/2 parts Tres Agaves
• 1 part Licor 43
• 1/2 part Tres Agaves Cocktail-Ready Agave Nectar
• 1 part fresh-squeezed Lime Juice
• 1/2 fresh Jalapeño Pepper, seeds removed
• Lime wheel and/or thin Jalapeño strips, for garnish (optional)
Muddle jalapeño in lime and agave nectar in a shaker. Add ice and Tequila, shake well and strain over into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with lime wheel and/or thin jalapeño strips.
5. Soltado Paleo Lemon Drop: (Created by Cassandra Rosen for Soltado Tequila)
• 2 oz. Soltado Spicy Añejo Tequila (100% agave)
• 1 oz. freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
• 1 oz. Honey Syrup (50:50 honey and water)
• Mint, for garnish
• Lemon Wheel, for garnish
• Sparkling grapefruit water (optional)
Combine all ingredients into a cocktail shaker and add ice. Shake vigorously for 10 seconds, strain into a high ball glass with ice. Garnish with a lemon wheel and mint. Top with sparkling if desired.
Santera Margarita. (Courtesy Photo)
6. Perfect Pear Margarita: (Serves 8)
• 2 cups Sauza
® Signature Blue Silver Tequila
• 1 cup Simple Syrup
• 1/2 cup Lime
• 1/2 cup Lemon
• 2 peeled Pears, for garnish
• 8 Rosemary Sprigs, for garnish
Add ingredients to a pitcher and stir. Pour over ice into margarita glasses. Garnish each with a pear slice and rosemary sprig.
7. Santera Margarita:
• 2 oz. Santera Reposado Tequila
• .75 oz. fresh Lime Juice
• .75 oz. Combier
• .25 oz. Cointreau
Combine all ingredients in a shaker. Add ice and shake vigorously. Serve in a cocktail glass.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com