- While you might not be nominated for an Oscar this year, you can still throw an award-winning green Oscar party that your guests will remember long after the Best Picture award is given.
Greenbrideguide.com, the nation's No. 1 green wedding resource, was launched in 2009 by environmental lawyer Kate Harrison
after her book "The Green Bride Guide: How To Plan An Earth-Friendly Wedding On Any Budget" (Sourcebooks, 2008) became a best-seller in the wedding category.
"Oscar parties are very popular, and we are often asked for creative party suggestions with a green slant," said Harrison. "We have brought together some of our favorite vendors to offer the most creative green Oscar party ideas."
• Make your guests feel like stars with a red-carpet entrance! When your guests arrive have them strike a pose and shoot away. You can use a runner or other rug from your house or just mark off a section of your floor for your friends to strut their stuff. Offer vintage props to invoke old Hollywood glam.
• Create eco-friendly ambiance by dimming the lights and using beeswax or soy wax candles, www.sunbeamcandles.com
• Serve your Oscar snacks with colorful sustainable plates, cups, and napkins that are recycled and compostable, www.Sustyparty.com
Serve Oscar Themed Green Treats
Let the nominations be your guide with these fun food ideas:
• Black and White cookies for "The Artist" - Make your own with organic milk and butter and cage-free eggs, or buy from a local bakery. Use award-shaped cookie cutter to take it to the next level. The mummy from www.coppergifts.com
is perfect for DIY enthusiasts.
• All-natural Banana Cupcakes for "The Descendants." - Wrap your cupcakes in cupcake liners from Green Party Goods (www.greenpartygoods.com) and top them off with organic toasted coconut! Mix available at www.sprinkles.com
• Bourbon Pecan Pie for "The Help" - Try organic bourbon from Garrison Brothers Distillery in Texas, www.garrisonbros.com
• Roasted peanuts and popcorn for "Moneyball" - You can buy organic popcorn from Whole Foods and Trader Joes.
Pour Green Drinks
• Serve organic alcohol. In addition to the bourbon mentioned above, you can now get organic whiskey, vodka, and even sparkling white wine. Serve chilled over handmade drink stones, www.greenbrideguide.com.
• Offer local beer and wine, www.craftbeer.com
• Make your own seltzer and soda. At 17 cents a liter, you can afford to keep the party going all night, www.greenbrideguide.com.
• Offer your Oscar voting on recycled paper or scrap paper ballots and assign point values to different categories
• Offer green prizes such as movies tickets for winners.
About Green Bride Guide
The comprehensive and credible resource for green wedding product and services. The site's directory connects couples with green wedding service providers in their area, such as restaurants that serve local, organic food and limousine companies that use hybrid vehicles. The directory includes vendors throughout the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. For further information on the Green Bride Guide™ go to .
For more information, click here.