New York City
- As 14.3 million people in the U.S. practiced yoga in 2010, up from 4.3 million in 2001 the fad is literally heating up even more with the surging popularity of Bikram and hot yoga, the fastest growing type of yoga in America.
More people than ever, including high-profile athletes, celebrities and politicians, are participating in the intense 90-minute classes that can burn up an estimated 1300 calories while conducting 26 poses in a room heated to 105°F.
As with all sports, when participation increases so does the risk of injury. While the benefits of yoga far outweigh the pitfalls, it is important to take precautions to avoid injury. Especially when practicing hot yoga, because the heat facilitates flexibility that allows the body to get into positions it previously could not.
Hall of Famer Franco Harris
, who recently developed The SilverSport SilverMat™ - a mat specifically engineered for Bikram Yoga - offers 10 tips to avoid injury:
Avail Yourself of the Latest Innovations in Technology
The SilverSport SilverMat™ is specifically engineered for Bikram and hot yoga with a revolutionary Terra Silver™ antimicrobial technology and an anti-slip textured surface to reduce slippage and kill odor-causing bacteria. It's thick, ultra durable and lightweight, providing a more comfortable, effective, clean and safe workout experience.
The Terra Silver™ antimicrobial technology becomes activated by moisture (such as sweat, water, etc.); silver ions are released and immediately start to eliminate odor-causing bacteria and absorb wetness.
• Find a Qualified Instructor: In ancient times, a "Yogi" taught yoga throughout his lifetime
, today an instructor only needs 200 hours to be certified.
• Find a qualified yoga instructor through word of mouth and by asking for his or her experience and credentials.
• Speak to your doctor about participating in hot yoga if you have medical conditions.
• Warm up: Cold muscles, tendons and ligaments are susceptible to injury.
• Start Slowly: Beginners should go through the poses cautiously and can sit out a few poses.
• Hydrate: Drink 16 oz. of water or fluid without caffeine at least two hours before, drink frequently during the workout, and have between 20 and 40 oz. of water afterwards.
• What to Wear: Less is more. Sweating is the body's primary defense against overheating and bare skin allows your body to release heat more easily.
• Listen to Your Body: Pain, dizziness, headache, nausea, cramps, fatigue, and weakness are all signs for your body is telling you to slow down.
• It's Not a Competition: Many yoga students get hurt while trying to keep up with the instructor or other students. Know your limits.
• Ask Questions: If you are unsure of a position or movement, stop and ask your instructor.
Fun Facts About Bikram and Hot Yoga
Founded by Bikram Choudhury who brought it to the U.S. in the 1970's, it is now the fastest growing type of yoga in America. President Richard Nixon was ailing on a trip to the South Pacific in 1972 and practiced with Bikram Choudhury. So pleased, Nixon invited him to live in America.
There has been a growing list of athletes and celebrities reported to have practiced Bikram and hot yoga including Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (whose son is a Hot Yoga instructor), Kobe Bryant, Pele, John McEnroe, Wayne Gretzky, Andy Roddick, Braylon Edwards, David Duval, Serena and Venus Williams, Lady Gaga, George Clooney, Madonna and many others.
Hall of Fame NFL player Franco Harris and consumer product expert Thomas Davis founded SilverSport with one goal in mind: to make exercise as clean as possible. The two saw a need in the market after hearing the multitude of stories about the prevalence of germs in fitness environments, such as gyms and yoga classes, and even when working out at home. SilverSport is the cutting edge solution to creating a clean work out.
Every SilverSport product employs Terra Silver to keep its surface clean. Using state of the art nanotechnology, Terra Silver releases silver ions which bind to naturally eliminate odor-causing bacteria, using harsh chemicals. The silver we use is EPA registered and OEKE-TEX™ approved.