Date Night Dessert: Thumbtack Chef Niko Paranomous' Red Velvet Mille Crepe Cake
Thumbtack Chef Niko Paranomous' Red Velvet Mille Crepe Cake. (Photo: Thumbtack Chef Niko Paranomous)
Looking for a spectacular way to end date night? Cap off the meal with Thumbtack Chef Niko Paranomous' Red Velvet Mille Crepe Cake.
"One of my all-time favorite fool-proof dessert recipes, the Red Velvet Mille Crepe Cake, can impress even the most discerning diner. No need to worry about fudging up a crepe or two, you can easily hide that in the many layers and fill in any missing pieces with the tangy whipped cream cheese filling," Chef Niko shared. "I love using a heart shaped cookie cutter to create individual heart-shaped cakes, making a luscious dessert that much more sweet!"
Red Velvet Mille Crepe Cake:
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 3 large eggs at room temperature or egg replacer equivalent
• 1 cup milk of your choice, at room temperature
• 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature (Vegan tip: Add 1 tsp apple cider vinegar to 1/2 cup of soy milk to make your own buttermilk)
• 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon red gel food coloring (Vegan tip: Create your own natural red food coloring by juicing 1 medium beet, and using as much you need to get your desired color)
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For cream cheese filling:
• 8oz dairy or non-dairy cream cheese, at room temperature
• 1/4 cup unsalted dairy or non-dairy butter, at room temperature
• 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
• 1-2 tablespoons milk of your choice (Vegan tip: Full fat coconut milk is a great option)
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• Sprinkles for decoration, if desired
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt and sugar.
2. In a mixing bowl with whisk attachment, or using a handheld electric mixer, or by hand, beat the eggs for 1 minute. Add milk, buttermilk, vanilla extract, oil and gel coloring. Beat the mixture for 3 minutes.
3. Add the flour mixture and beat on medium low speed just until combined, 1-2 minutes.
4. Heat 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Place a little less than ¼ cup of batter into the hot pan, quickly swirl the pan so the batter is evenly covers the bottom of the pan. In about 1 minute, when the edges of the crepe start to pull away, flip it over using a spatula. Cook for about 30 seconds or so and stack the crepes on a plate. Cool the crepes completely.
5. To make the cream cheese filling, beat the cream cheese and butter in a medium mixing bowl with paddle attachment, or using handheld electric mixer. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk and mix until smooth, starting on low speed and slowly increasing the speed to medium high.
6. To assemble the cake, spread heaping one tablespoon of cream cheese filling on a crepe. Place another crepe on top and spread another heaping tablespoon of the filling. Repeat until all crepes are used. Top with sprinkles, if desired. Serve immediately, or store in airtight container in the fridge. Bring the cake to room temperature before serving.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com
Gary R. DePersia, Corcoran Real Estate
With over $2 billion in transactions on the East End and since 1995, Gary DePersia is consistently ranked among the top producers in the Hamptons. A year-on-year member of The Corcoran Group President’s Council, he has qualified as a national list maker since 2007. In 2008 he was Corcoran's top broker on the East End by sales volume and rental units; and ranked as the nation’s 4th top broker. In the 2017 REAL Trends & The Wall Street Journal list of America’s top real estate professionals, he was designated #26 nationally, #4 in the Hamptons and #3 at Corcoran overall by volume with nearly $200 million of transactions for the past year. His office operates with four licensed assistants allowing him to build a business stretching from Southampton to Montauk and Sagaponack to Shelter Island.
East End Tick Control
The East End's only New York State licensed dedicated tick and mosquito control specialists!
CP Complete- Landscape Design & Construction
Paul Guillo And Chris Hall
Two Of The Most Respected Names In The Community
Together, they are partners in CP Complete. They bring their years of experience
and integrity to creating and renovating luxury backyards.
D+J Concepts is known for a high-end cutting edge approach to design.
D+J Concepts is known for a high-end cutting edge approach to design with a balance between functionality and imagination. We skillfully and tastefully transform ordinary spaces into classic modern styles, which are understated, and luxe. We’re known for our modern transitional style incorporating antiques and modern elements for an unexpected edge.