New York City
award winning actor Richard Thomas
currently starring in the hit play "Race" on Broadway announced the nominees for the 28th Annual Fred and Adele Astaire
Awards honoring excellence in dance and choreography on Stage and in Film at a by-invitation-only cocktail reception at famed celebrity watering hole Elaine's on Monday, May 3.
Emmy award winning actor Richard Thomas.
"Come Fly Away", the musical dance tribute to Frank Sinatra
created by Twyla Tharp
scooped the competition with the most nominations, including one for Tharp as Best Choreographer. Bill T. Jones
was nominated for his vibrant choreography for the smash
hit musical "Fela." Also nominated were Sergio Trujillo
for "Memphis'" Marcia Milgrom Dodge
for "Ragtime" and Steven Hoggett
for "American Idiot," the Green Day
musical. Bridgehampton's Rob Marshall
was nominated for Best Choreographer in the film category for his brilliant work on "Nine."
and Joseph Botkier
and Ron Buchter
and Jesse Robert Goodale
and Patricia Watt
hosted the reception for the Nominees and Astaire Awards
Gala Committee. Honorary Co-Chairs include Roberta Flack
, Countess Luann de Lesseps
and Bruce Michael
. Benefit Co-Chairs include Robin Cofer
, Cassandra Seidenfeld Lyster
, Sara Johnson
, Carolyn Kendall Buchter
and Joe Lanteri
The Nominating Committee for the 2010 Fred and Adele Astaire Awards was comprised of Anna Kisselgoff
, former Chief Dance Critic, the New York Times
; Wendy Perron
, Editor in Chief of Dance Magazine
, Sylviane Gold
, freelance dance columnist for Dance Magazine
, the New York Times
and Damian Woetzel
, former lead dancer of the New York City Ballet
, and Artistic Director of The Vail Institute.
Co-Host Carolyn Kendall Buchter and Ben Vereen.
The 28th Annual Fred and Adele Astaire Awards presentation will take place at the Gerald W. Lynch Theater at John Jay College, New York on June 7. The Awards are presented by Ava Astaire
in tribute to her father and aunt and by producer Patricia Watt
and The Douglas Watt
Family Fund for the Performing Arts. Legendary director and choreographer Kenny Ortega
has already been announced to receive the prestigious Douglas Watt Lifetime
Achievement Award. The awards gala is directed by Tony and Drama Desk nominated Lee Roy Reams
. Patricia Watt
is producer. Associate producer is Bronwen Carson
. Choreographer is Joe Lanteri
. The evening benefits Career Transition for Dancers. Sponsors are FXDD and Capezio.
2010 Fred And Adele Astaire Awards Nominees
Stage Categories - Choreographers
Lorin Lottaro, Associate Choreographer, "American Idiot."
• Bill T. Jones - "Fela"
• Twyla Tharp - "Come Fly Away"
• Sergio Trujillo - "Memphis"
• Marcia Milgrom Dodge - "Ragtime"
• Steven Hoggett - "American Idiot"
• Charlie Neshyba-Hodges - "Come Fly Away"
• Keith Roberts - "Come Fly Away"
• John Selya - "Come Fly Away"
• Maksim Chmerkovskiy
- "Burn the Floor"
• Male Ensemble - "Memphis" (Brad Bass, Kevin Covert, Bryan Fenkart, Rhett George, John Jellison, John Eric Parker, Jermaine R. Rembert, Ephraim Sykes
, Cary Tedder, Daniel J Watts, Charlie Williams, James Brown
III, and Tyron Jackson).
• Karine Plantadit - "Come Fly Away"
• Laura Mead - "Come Fly Away"
• Holley Farmer - "Come Fly Away"
• Savannah Wise - "Ragtime"
• Nicole Chantal de Weever - "Fela"
• Female Ensemble - "Fela" (Hettie Vyrine Barnhill, Lauren de Veaux, Elasea Douglas, Rujeko Dumbutshena, Catherine Foster, Shaneeka Harrrell, Chanon Judson, Shakira
Marshall, Afi McClendon, Jill Vallery, Iris Wilson, and Aimee Graham Wodobode).
Film Categories - Choreographer (Fictional Film)
Nominee Nicole Chantal de Weever with associate producer Brionwen Carson.
• Marguerite Derricks - "Fame"
• Rob Marshal and John Deluca
• Lula Washington - "Avatar"
Director (Documentary Dance Film)
• Kenny Ortega - "This is It"
• Frederick Wiseman - "La Danse, Le Ballet de l'Opera de Paris"
• Ruedi Gerber - "Breath Made Visible"
• Adam Del Deo and James D. Stern - "Every Little Step"
For more information go to www.TheFredandAdeleAstaireAwards.com
, or contact Patricia Watt, Executive Producer at 212-595-0925, Patricia_Watt@msn.com.