- Tibet House U.S. is proud to announce its eighth annual benefit auction to be held December 6, 2010 at Christie's Auction House in New York City
. Over the past eight years this special and unique benefit auction has grown to become a staple on New York City's social and philanthropic calendar, and this year offers a new catalog of unique and exclusive items up for auction. Aimed at promoting and preserving Tibetan culture, Tibet House U.S. serves to expose the civilization's profound wisdom, beauty, and special art of freedom to the people of the world, providing inspiration for others to join the effort to protect and continue these customs.
Dr. Hugo Weihe
, Christie's Senior Vice President, will serve as auctioneer for the crowd of 500 to 600 distinguished guests at the event, while this year's Honorary Chair Committee includes Christy Turlington Burns
and Ed Burns
, Donna Karan
, Yoko Ono Lennon
and Eric Ripert
, Martin Scorsese
, Trudie Styler
, Uma Thurman
, and Arden Wohl
Items to be auctioned in this year's event include:
• Rare Items and Opportunities: a $10,000 shopping-spree at Donna Karan's Urban Zen
store; a Precision Bass guitar autographed by Sting; two VIP tickets to see His Holiness the Dalai Lama
at the 2010 Newark Peacemaking Summit; a cooking class personally conducted by Chef Eric Ripert for 10 people at Le Bernardin
or in the winner's home, and an opportunity to join the Chef behind the scenes on one of his TV appearances; a private jet to the destination of your choice; memorabilia from Mick Jagger
, John Lennon
, Jim Morrison, Martin Scorsese and others.
• Adventures and Exotic Trips: a five-star vacation extravaganza in Bali, a private journey for two to Bhutan organized by Geographic Expeditions with guest accommodations at five-star AmanResorts properties; a one-week stay in a spectacular villa on the French Riviera with amazing views of the Mediterranean Sea; a stay with nine friends in a five-bedroom luxury villa in Las Brisas with a stunning 200-degree view of the Acapulco Bay for one-week.
• Contemporary Art and Photographs: Works by Donald Baechler
, Danny Clinch
, Milton Glaser
, Herb Greene, Alex Grey, Bob Gruen, Joseph Kosuth, Sheila Metzner, Ed Ruscha, Patti Smith
, Peter Tunney
• Jewels and Fashion: Ugo Cacciatori earrings designed exclusively for Tibet House U.S. with gold, diamonds and sterling silver; a pair of Reinstein/Ross 22kt apricot gold divine earrings with smooth pink spinel-stones, a Jill Platner sterling silver bracelet; a large multi-stoned necklace from Margo Morrison; handbags from Prada and Kate Spade
• Tibet and Beyond: Antique and ceremonial objects, rugs, tangka paintings and alter statues and more.
As with their past benefit auctions, the proceeds from this year's event will be divided to sustain the Tibet House U.S. and another organizations with like-minded initiatives. A portion of the proceeds will go towards supporting many of the important projects and programs spawned by the Tibet House in their mission of displaying and maintaining the ancient traditions of the Tibetan civilization. This year the Tibet House has pledged to give another portion of the proceeds to the Tibetan Children's Village. The Tibetan Children's Village, or TCV, was established by Tsering Dolma Takla, the elder sister of His Holiness, in 1960 in Dharamsala, India. TCV is an integrated educational community for destitute Tibetan children in exile, as well as for hundreds of those escaping from Tibet every year and has been the main school for Tibetan refugee children for 46 years. They will also continue to give a part of the proceeds to the Tibetan Community of New York and New Jersey.
For more information call 917-725-1195