- The East End Health Alliance hospitals (Eastern Long Island, Peconic Bay Medical Center
and Southampton) and their affiliated medical staffs have taken a significant step in health reform by establishing a new partnership, a partnership branded as a Physician Hospital Organization (PHO). Known as the East End PHO, it will serve as an important vehicle for Alliance hospitals and their staffs to create a clinically integrated system of health care delivery for residents of Eastern Long Island.
"The East End PHO will position its health care providers to respond to anticipated changes in the delivery of health care and the challenges to work collaboratively that will follow from health care reform," said Carole Donlin, Alliance Chair.
, MD, who is Managing Partner for East End Eye Associates and co-chair for the East End PHO, outlined the importance of the PHO and how it will benefit patients and their medical providers.
"The PHO currently has an enrollment of 63 physicians affiliated with the Alliance hospitals, including primary care physicians and medical and surgical specialists and continues to recruit additional physicians. This integrated partnership wil (1) permit participating physicians and the Alliance hospitals to share information at the point of care of the patient, (2) monitor physician performance against evidence-based medicine and best practices, and (3) provide real-time feed back to physicians," explained Dr. Sheren.
"The Information technology supporting the program is available to the PHO through Federal funding," Dr. Sheren added. "This technology permits participating physicians and Alliance Hospitals to share clinical information across the entire spectrum of health care for the first time."
"Quality of care will be improved, duplication of service will be eliminated and the cost of providing that care will be reduced," commented Bobby Goodale
, Vice-Chair, Alliance and Co-Chair, East End PHO.
"The East End PHO will have all the essential elements to meet the challenges and to quickly adapt to new systems as they develop," concurred Dr. Sheren.
Healthcare Reform begins to take shape under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) with a focus on:
• Enhancing Quality and Improving Outcomes
• Managing Cost
• Coordinating Care
Healthcare Reform challenges physicians and hospitals to work collaboratively in new ways, including new system approaches:
• Accountable Care Organizations (ACO)
• Patient Centered Medical Homes
East End Physician Hospital Organization (PHO) is a collaboration between the East End Health Alliance, its hospitals and its affiliated medical staff members:
• Progressive approach to the delivery of healthcare
• Clinically integrated coordination of care
• Enrollment of three hospitals and 63 physicians
• Primary care physicians
• Medical and surgical specialists
• New Information Technology supports clinical integration
• Available through Federal appropriation to the East End Health Alliance
• Supports sharing of clinical information with member providers across the spectrum of healthcare
Collaboration under the PHO creates clinical integration:
• Permits participating physicians and the Alliance hospitals to share information at the point of care
• Benchmarks and monitors performance against 'best practices' and evidence-based medicine
• Provides real-time feedback to physicians
What Is The East End PHO?
East End Physician Hospital Organization (PHO) is a legal structure between the East End Health Alliance its hospitals and affiliated physicians coordinating efforts to achieve market objectives in the delivery of health care services and improve quality of care for all residents.