Eat Your Way Through National Apple Month With These Crisp Apple Donuts
Apple pies are great, but if you're looking for a new sweet option after a day of apple picking in the Hamptons, try these Crisp Apple Donuts instead. And October is National Apple Month, so if you love apples, here's your excuse to use them in nearly everything you make.
Crisp Apple Donuts
Yield: 12 donuts plus holes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 3 hours or overnight
For The Donuts:
• 1 cup Crisp Apple Sparkling Ice
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
• 1/2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend
• 2 eggs
• 1/4 cup whole milk
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 3 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
For The Cinnamon Sugar:
• 1 1/2 cups Splenda Sugar Blend
• 1/2 cup ground cinnamon
1. In a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together, on medium high speed for approximately 5 minutes.
2. Add eggs one at a time until combined. Slowly pour in the milk and half of the Sparkling Ice to the mixing bowl.
3. With the mixer on slow speed add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until just combined. The dough should look shaggy.
4. Slowly pour in the remaining amount of Sparkling Ice on medium speed for 2 minutes.
5. Tear 2 pieces of parchment paper the size of a baking sheet.
6. Line the first piece of parchment on a clean baking sheet and heavily dust with flour.
7. Turn out the dough onto the floured parchment and press evenly till its about 3/4 inch thick. (If the dough seems too sticky flour your hands before pressing.)
8. Lightly flour the top of the dough and place the second piece of parchment over the dough.
9. Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
9. After refrigeration, heat enough oil to come up 2 inches from the bottom (in a deep frying pan) to 375 degrees using a candy thermometer.
10. Gently peel the top piece of parchment off the dough.
11. Using a floured donut cutter, punch out dough and place in hot oil.
12. Fry on each side for 2-3 minutes or until light brown. Adjust the heat if needed. Scoop on paper towel lined baking tray.
13. Combine cinnamon and Splenda in a large bowl.
14. While the donuts are still warm, toss with cinnamon and Splenda mixture until evenly coated.
15. Serve warm.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com