When thinking of football fare, chances are chicken wings spring to mind. But this Super Bowl
Sunday, make sure you don't miss an extra point by adding this versatile extra to your spread.
Whole-Grain Chardonnay Mustard:
Yields 1 1/2 cups
Whole-Grain Chardonnay Mustard. (Courtesy Photo)
• 2 tablespoons mustard powder
• 1/4 cup water
• 1/2 cup yellow mustard seeds (3 ounces)
• 2 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
• 1/3 cup SIMI Sonoma County Chardonnay
• 1/4 cup sherry vinegar or white-wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 2 sprigs of fresh thyme (optional)
1. Whisk together the mustard powder and water in a bowl. Stir in the seeds. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover, and store in the refrigerator overnight.
3. The next morning, adjust the seasonings to taste. (Note: that the mustard will be fiercely hot and somewhat bitter at first.)
Discard the thyme springs, if using. If you prefer a smoother but still grainy texture, process the mustard for 30 to 60 seconds in a blender or with an immersion blender.
4. Transfer the mustard to jars. Seal, and mellow in the refrigerator for three days before using. The finished mustard will keep in the refrigerator for a month.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com