- Summer gatherings and pasta salads are synonymous - light, easy, colorful, and most importantly, convenient.
Potluck Pasta Salad is the perfect punctuation to any warm weather meal. Ready in about half an hour, this pasta salad can be customized to feature the season's freshest ingredients as well as pantry and fridge staples, and family favorites.
To start, prepare the rotini according to package directions. By using Dreamfields pasta there are some added nutritional benefits to this already healthful salad. Made from durum wheat semolina, Dreamfields provides the same taste and texture as traditional pasta but with twice the fiber and fewer digestible carbohydrates (only five grams) per serving. This makes it ideal for everyone in the family, especially those who have diabetes or pre-diabetes.
While the pasta cooks, whisk together the ingredients for Herbed Vinaigrette and choose the mix-ins. Select fresh and crisp-tender cooked veggies like carrots, asparagus, broccoli and snap peas; proteins such as ham, shrimp, cheese; or olives and fresh herbs. Four cups of mix-ins for a box of pasta is just the right amount.
Then toss the pasta, mix-ins and dressing. Serve immediately or refrigerate until meal time. This flavorful combo makes an ideal dish for backyard barbeques, picnics and everyday meals.
• 1 box Dreamfields Rotini or Penne Rigate
• 4 cups mix-ins (see below)
• Dressing: Herbed Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again.
2. Add desired mix-ins and half of dressing. Toss to coat. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until chilled; toss before serving. Add additional dressing, as desired.
• Crisp-tender cooked vegetables: green beans, broccoli, asparagus, corn, sugar snap peas, green peas, edamame, zucchini, yellow squash.
• Raw vegetables: shredded or sliced carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, celery, avocado, spinach, radish, onions.
• Olives, cheese - shredded or crumbled, herbs.
• Salami strips, cooked chicken, tuna, shrimp, crabmeat, ham, beef steak slices, prosciutto.
• If traditional pasta is used in this recipe there is a total of 38 grams carbohydrate.
• 1/2 cup white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/4 cup finely chopped
fresh herbs such as thyme, basil, oregano, parsley
In small bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil. Whisk in mustard and garlic. Add herbs.