It's off to the races at Churchill Downs
when the Kentucky Derby
contenders take to the track on Saturday, May 7th. Whether or not this year's race will end in an upset still remains to be seen, but here are eight sure bets to sip on as you watch "The Greatest Two Minutes in Sports."
Saint Ambrose Cup. (Courtesy Photo)
1. Cruzan® Hats Off Julep:
• 2 parts Cruzan® Estate Diamond® Dark Rum
• 1⁄2 part Turbinado Simple Syrup*
• Pinch of Mint
• 3 Blackberries
• Crushed Ice
Muddle Mint and Berries in a julep cup. Add Cruzan® Estate Diamond® Dark Rum and Turbinado Simple Syrup (recipe below) and fill with crushed ice. Take a hePy bouquet of Mint and rinse with water, then sprinkle Mint with powdered sugar for garnish with 3 speared Blackberries.
• 8 parts Hot Water
• 8 parts Turbinado sugar
Combine 8 parts Hot Water and 8 parts Turbinado sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate. Will last for 30 days.
Bacardi Citrus Party Punch. (Courtesy Photo)
2. Saint Ambrose Cup: (Created by Jeff Bell, PDT)
• .75 oz. Campari
• 2 oz. Tequila
• .75 oz. fresh Lemon Juice
• .25 oz. Simple Syrup
• 4 Cucumber slices (3 muddled, 1 for garnish)
Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail coupe.
3. Bacardi Citrus Party Punch:
• 1 part Bacardi Grapefruit
• 1 part Bacardi Limon
• 2 parts Orange Juice
• 1 part Grapefruit Juice
• 2 Lime wedges
Pour all ingredients into a serving glass filled with ice. Squeeze lime wedges into drink. Stir with a bar spoon. Garnish with an orange slice.
Cruzan® Hats Off Julep and Basil Hayden's Derby Day Julep. (Courtesy Photos)
4. Basil Hayden's Derby Day Julep: (Created by Joy Perrine, Louisville, KY)
• 4 parts Basil Hayden's® Bourbon
• 4 chopped
• 10 Spearmint Leaves
• 4 Lemon Wedges
• 1 part Water
• 2 tbsp. Brown Sugar
Muddle brown sugar and water in pint glass until sugar dissolves. Add chopped strawberries, lemon wedges and mint leaves and muddle well. Add Basil Hayden's and shake. Add ice and shake once again. Strain cocktail over crushed ice and garnish with a mint sprig and strawberry.
5. Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi Mint Muddle: (Yield: 2 cocktails)
• 2 1" thick Cucumber Slices
• 4 Blackberries
• 8 Mint Leaves
• 1 cup Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi Chardonnay
• 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
• ½ cup Soda Water
• Thinly sliced Cucumbers, Lemons, Mint and Seasonal Fruit, for garnish
Grey Goose Oaks Lily. (Courtesy Photo)
Place 1 cucumber slice, 2 blackberries and 4 mint leaves into two 8-10 oz glasses. Muddle using a pestle. Add ½ cup of Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi Chardonnay, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and a handful of ice to each glass. Stir using a cocktail spoon for 10 seconds or until drink is cold. Top with ¼ cup of soda and continue stirring for 5 more seconds or until combined. Garnish with cucumbers, lemons, mint and seasonal fruit of choice.
6. Grey Goose Oaks Lily:
• 1 part Grey Goose Vodka
• 1/2 part Orange Liqueur
• 1/2 part fresh Lemon Juice
• 2 parts Cranberry Juice
Fill glass slightly above rim with cubed ice. Pour ingredients in order listed to 1/2 inch from top of glass. Stir slowly and garnish with a fresh blackberry and slice of lemon.
7. Soltado Passion Punch: (Cassandra Rosen for Soltado)
• 1 oz. Soltado Tequila
• 2 oz. Passion Fruit juice
• 1/4 oz. fresh Lime Juice
• 2 oz. Passion Turmeric Soda
• Dash Grapefruit Bitters
Shake first three ingredients with ice, strain into a glass filled with ice. Top with soda and bitters, stir. Garnish with lime.
Soltado Passion Punch. (Courtesy Photo)
8. Banana on Banana Julep: (Created by Damian Windsor, Roger Room in Los Angeles, CA)
• 2 parts Maker's Mark
• 1/2 part Giffard Banane du Bresil
• 1 part Banana Shrub
• Handful of Mint Leaves
• Mint Sprigs, Dried Banana Chips and a Cornichon, for garnish
Combine all ingredients, stir and pour over crushed ice into a julep crush.
Banana on Banana Julep. (Courtesy Photo)
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com