- The expertise and rum-crafting skills of the Brugal family have been passed down through generations of Maestros Roneros, Rum Masters, who worked for years, under the strictest secrecy, to produce an exceptional liquid: Brugal 1888. In Brugal 1888, both experience and tradition in making the best rums have been exquisitely combined to match the sophisticated tastes of current consumers. The result is a unique rum, with a contemporary style and a great personality. Undoubtedly, a world class rum.
Brugal 1888 is the perfect blend of time, passion and experience of five generations of Maestros Roneros. Its artisanal crafting commences with a double distillation, followed by a careful selection of the best rums that undergo a double aging process. During the initial stages, it is vital for these rums to be aged in medium roasted American white oak casks (quercus alba), and subsequently to continue the aging process in European oak casks (quercus robur) that have previously been used for aging Sherry wines.
The wooden casks are a key element in differentiating Brugal 1888 from other rums as they are either hand-crafted or hand-picked under the guidance of George Espie, The Macallan Scotch Whisky's Master of Wood.
Another of the keys to the unique nature of Brugal 1888 is the specific arrangement of the casks where the rums are aged, a technique used in making 1888. In this case, the casks are placed horizontally during the aging process, so that the liquid is in permanent contact with the wood, ensuring that the rum takes on highly specific characteristics of color, aroma and taste. Brugal & Co. C. por A. has a cellar designed for housing casks placed horizontally, grouped together into batches of 68 units, giving a maximum of 14,000 bottles.
Today, Brugal Rum
is the #3 rum in the world in terms of volume. Its strong presence in the industrial development of the Dominican Republic, covering a widely diversified, dynamic, and consolidated range, is unmatched and is currently one of the most emblematic brands of its geographical surroundings. Available in select U.S. markets, Brugal Rum continues to preserve the tradition, authenticity and quality for which it is famous.
• Aged: Master blending of only the finest rums aged five to 14 years. Aged in medium toasted American white oak casks followed by a second maturation in first-filled Sherry oak casks.
• Flavor Palate: Smooth, full bodied, with a notable finish of toffee caramel, wood and licorice. Leaves a sweet, lingering and sublime aftertaste which denotes perfection.
• Nose: An exquisite scented bouquet. Some spicy notes, hints of chocolate, roasted coffee beans and hints of cinnamon and dried fruits.
• Color: In the light, it stands out for its dark amber, bright, clean color.
• Suggested Serving: A complex rum, with vibrant nuances, to be sipped on its own, with ice or in the most surprising cocktails.
• Pricing: $49.99
Pedro's Martinez by Bryan Schneider at Monkey Bar
• 1 ½ oz. Brugal 1888 Rum
• ¾ oz. Carpano Antica Formula Vermouth
• ¼ oz. Lustau Pedro Ximenez Sherrry
• 1 dash Bitterman's Mole Bitters
• 1 dash Angostura Bitters
Stir and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish: lime twist