Alexander Weiss, season one winner of "MasterChef
Junior," the Fox hit cooking competition series for children, has partnered with House Foods to create a unique, nutritional winter comfort dish, Tofu Fritters. The flavorful bites work well as an appetizer any upcoming gathering your hosting.
• 1/2 pkg House Foods Premium or Organic Tofu Soft (patted dry with paper towels)
• 3/4 cup all purpose flour (sifted)
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 3 1/2 tbsp whole milk
• salt and pepper
• smoked paprika
• 1/2 cup fresh corn (stripped off the cob)
• 3/4 cup red bell peppers (about 3 large peppers)
• 3 tbsp sliced scallions or chives
• pinch of chili flakes
• canola or grapeseed oil for frying
1. Preheat 3 to 4 inches of oil in large pot or deep fryer at 325 degrees.
2. Char/burn whole pepper's skin on all sides on gas burner over high heat.
3. Once done, cover pepper in heatproof bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Rub under cold water to remove skin of pepper.
5. Remove core, seeds, and any white membrane of pepper, and dice into small cubes and set aside.
6. In large bowl, mash tofu with fork.
7. Whisk to smooth tofu and mix in baking soda and flour until well combined.
8. Add milk and beat until smooth.
9. Season with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
10. Fold in corn, peppers, scallions and chili flakes with spatula.
11. Drop batter into fryer using 1 1/2 inch ice cream scoop or two spoons.
12. Fry for approximately 5 minutes or until golden brown.
13. Remove from oil and drain on plate lined with paper towels.
14. Season with salt and serve.
Nicole is the Editor-in-Chief of Hamptons.com where she focuses on lifestyle, nightlife, and mixology. She grew up in the Hamptons and currently resides in Water Mill. www.hamptons.com