Log In   ·   Become A Member

Thiele: New Developments For The 2012 Personal Income Tax Season

Originally Posted: February 21, 2012

Sag Harbor - Assemblyman Fred W. Thiele, Jr. (I, D, WF-Sag Harbor) announced new developments in relation to the Department of Taxation and Finance's 2012 personal income tax filing season. These new changes will help deliver more efficient services at a lower cost to taxpayers.

Tax Forms and E-file Requirements for Individual Taxpayers

Over 75 percent of New York Taxpayers file electronically or use software to prepare and mail their forms. Consequently the Department of Taxation and Finance will no longer mail paper tax forms automatically. Forms are available at www.tax.ny.gov, at local libraries, by calling 518-457-5431, or at the office of Assemblyman Fred Thiele, located at 2302 Main Street, Suite A, in Bridgehampton.

A New Way to Receive State Tax Refunds

In addition to either direct deposit or paper check, taxpayers may now request to receive their tax refunds on a debit card. Prepaid debit cards provide an efficient, cost effective way to disburse refunds. While direct deposit remains the fastest and easiest way for taxpayers to get their tax refunds, the prepaid card is particularly useful for taxpayers without bank accounts. The state-administered prepaid card enables these taxpayers to avoid expensive check-cashing fees.

Same-sex Married Couples - Tax Return Filing Obligations

The Marriage Equality Act, which took effect on July 24, 2011, provides that all marriages - both same-sex - and different-sex couples, be treated equally under the laws of New York. For tax years 2011 and after, same-sex married couples who are married as of the last day of the tax year must file New York personal income tax returns using a married filing status, even though their martial status is not recognized for federal income tax purposes.

Taxpayers with Incomes Below $57,000 May be Eligible for Free-File

For 2012, taxpayers with incomes below $57,000 may be eligible to prepare and file both their Federal and State income taxes for free. Taxpayers eligible for Free File should access the Department's website for more information.

Elimination of the IT-150 Short Form

Full-year residents will no longer need to determine whether they must complete the IT-150 Resident Income Tax Return (short form) or IT-201 Resident Income Tax Return (long from). All full year resident taxpayers will not use the IT-201.

Related Articles:

Be the first to comment on this article. (Just fill out the form below)

Submit Your Comment

Please note, you are not currently logged in. Your comment will be submitted as a guest.
To submit your comment as a member, please click here.
Your Name:
* Comments will be reviewed and posted in a timely fashion
* All fields are required
Please type the word 'water'
(For spam prevention, thanks)